GrahamU

GrahamU's 2.0 TFSI with DSG

Bugger.....

Tried to take the screen out, got a hole though the sealant and stupidly pushed a small screwdriver through it to see where to put the cheesewire and 'crack'

Damm

Did a little more today

removed some more of the interior

Then started filling the holes in the bulkhead that I no longer plan to use, might seem a little bit scene but I'm hoping it will also cut down the engine noise in the cabin aswell.

Used some magnets to hold the plats in place.

52653176009_90f9b3a2aa_z.jpg

52653385543_f473da3217_z.jpg

52652412657_37483943c2_z.jpg

And bought this the other day

52653175989_5f69f7614f_z.jpg

Edited by GrahamU

Had a day of today so cracked on with some more welding.

Removed the battery bracket, washer bottle bracket and the expansion tank bracket.

The plan is to have the battery and washer bottle in the boot then move the expansion to the other side to have it where there fitted on mk4s

Filled the remaining holes and ground the small amount of surface rust that was there then put a skim of filler over areas I goround.

Will leave it now to the weekend to dry before I smooth it all back.

52653175974_3c01675105_z.jpg

I did take more pics as the day went by but the bloody camera lost its memory when the battery compartment came open for an hour 😞

Edited by GrahamU

how easy did your wings come off in regards to being seam sealed?

Relatively easy, I used a knife with a long blade, cut the sealer at the bottom and gently pulled the bottom of the wing out then forced the knife in between the wing and the A pillar and cut upwards

What rev counter tacho adapter did you use buddy????

Didn't need one, the later cluster (with 2 indicator bulbs rather than the single) works straight of the OEM ECU

Not much done this weekend, to much racing, shopping and kids football but have been rubbing back the filler under the bonnet

Trying to go for a smooth original look

52652412612_a4cc3faaea_z.jpg

This side needs a little more work

52653385493_a70c050e10_z.jpg

Edited by GrahamU

So its turned into one of those ' I wish I hadn't start this' sort of days....

Did a bit more under the bonnet and got to this

52652904066_839dd2ebb7_z.jpg

but then decided to have a look at the small bit of rust that kicked of this rebuild

Started stripping the paint and sealer back and found the rust was a little more than I thought so cut a hole in the sill

this is how it looked

52652904046_dbdcfca917_z.jpg

Thought, oh dear, theres a bit more work required there so dug a bit more and realise I needed to cut more panel off

52652904036_cee1cfed53_z.jpg

wire brushed it to this

52652412552_418f5e93da_z.jpg

Treated it with Krust for now. I guess I need to buy some metal 😞

Edited by GrahamU

i hope my gear box lasts longer than yours when i fit my 20v.do i need to change bonnet to the later type,also what throttle cable did you use

Hi carrots,

I have a collection of boxes now with lots of ratios to choose from, so hopefully can have some good built 🙂

You will need the later bonnet to clear the throttle body or you will more likely get a dent when the engine rocks

I used a throttle cable from a 1.3 mk2 golf

Got this the other day from VW classic parts DE, only €50 plus P+P

52653385453_e412716060_z.jpg

Got a day off Wednesday so will have a go at fitting it 🙂

Edited by GrahamU

You will need the later bonnet to clear the throttle body or you will more likely get a dent when the engine rocks

I managed it without replacing the bonnet using one of these engine mounts:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Mk2-VR6-front-solid-engine-mount-/200996314957?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ecc505f4d

If you change to a late spec bonnet, you will need to change the wings & slam panel to late spec as well in order to get the panel gaps lined up properly.

IMHO the early bonnet looks much better too!

cheers for that,do you get any vibration with that mount.also was it deff the vr6 mount not the others he is selling.thanks again

Edited by carrots

I didn't get any noticeable change in vibration (but the car is just getting back on the road, so still isn't running 100%).

It is the Mk2 - Vr6 adapter mount in that link that I used. It is basically a shorter mount to allow fitting a Vr6 engine into the Mk2 Golf without having to change the subframe.

It did require 15mins with a metal file to slightly re-shape the top of the mount to fit snugly into the standard 16v engine mount bracket on the front of the engine.

Only problem with that is the engine then sits lower and the sump stands more chance of being hit which isn't good on an ali sump pan.

I did read that some people change the front panel and wings when they do the late bonnet but I didn't and it fitted fine.

I also looked at the solid front mount and again there is a lot of conflicting opinions on them, I'm gonna settle for poly mounts for the cross member to the chassis and a g60 front mount

Had a bit of time this afternoon to have a play on the rado,

started off by cutting all the rust out of the lower A pillar, then gave it a coat of sealer

52652412522_7c8c760325_z.jpg

Then took my new panel and cut it up

52652904001_72a6f5fdd1_z.jpg

Then with a small amount of tweaking I offered it up

52652412512_8bb1e0bee7_z.jpg

Unfortunately my son decided he would then break the light switch upstairs so I had to fix that so I will have a go at welding the panel back on at the weekend.

Edited by GrahamU
u[dating photo links

Only problem with that is the engine then sits lower and the sump stands more chance of being hit which isn't good on an ali sump pan.

I did read that some people change the front panel and wings when they do the late bonnet but I didn't and it fitted fine.

I also looked at the solid front mount and again there is a lot of conflicting opinions on them, I'm gonna settle for poly mounts for the cross member to the chassis and a g60 front mount

i thought a g60 front mount is the same as a 16v

I may be wrong but I think a proper g60 mount is firmer than the 16v, they look different aswell, the g60 is fully encased in metal where as the 16v has a rubber top part.

I have opened the mount I think is the g60 and the design is similar to the vr mount where as the 16v is some sort of hydro