rado-steve

Diesel in a Rado???????

Ok I know a few peeps have done it......

but what do I actually need to do it??

Mechanical wise is all pretty simple, done a 20VT so know what needs doing etc..

Do i need to change the fuel tank/lines, if so what was it from a MK2 GTD etc???

Just some help guys please.....

Thanks

Indeed - and whilst Supercharged didn't do the conversion on his, he has done a fair amount of work on it since so knows what's been used and stuff..

You need the engine, gearbox, loom etc from the TDi donor. If its a mk3 Golf donor then you'll need to remove all of the headlamp wiring and add the wiper wiring to the loom. If its a B4 Passat then you'll just need to add the wiper wiring from your existing engine loom.

If it's a PD donor that you're thinking of then I can't help as I haven't done one yet. Quite fun regarding wiring and the engine mounts are completely different. Definitely not bolt-in but easily doable if you know what you're doing.

The Corrado tank is fine, the unleaded restrictor is easily removable. I changed some fuel lines and did a few other little mods that allowed me to keep the petrol in-tank pump without over-pressurising the diesel IP.

Other than that its simple - cooling system isn't a problem, fab up some intercooler pipework and mount an intercooler just like when you do a 20VT. Oh, the pedal box is a bit of a pain in the arse unless you modify the DBW system to mount the potentiometer in a different place to standard - I ended up modifying the inner scuttle on my car but it could be done in other ways if you wanted, you'd need to figure it out.

I went widetrack on mine with a VR6 subframe so used the decent VR6 engine mounts but you could get away with the earlier 4-cylinder mounts if you were using a 4-pot base and didn't want to change the subframe (obviously you could still go widetrack on the 4-pot subframe).

Airbox could be an issue depending on the donor. I was able to modify the 8V one that was originally on my Corrado but again it depends on the base car. Then just figuring out where to mount the N75 valve etc. ECU mounts nicely in the original bracket, just some vacuum pipes to route nicely. I fitted some bulkhead heat shielding for the turbo, you'd do the same on a 20VT no doubt.

Pretty straightforward, mine took a month but I reckon I could do it in a week now I know what I'm doing.

Sorry for the brainstorm approach to this reply, just typed stuff as I thought of it!