Dazza Storm

Advice on Timing Chains??

I was wondering when or if at all on when to change the timing chains? My C has done 125k and I have no evidence to show they have ever been changed, I rang my local VW Stealers and they said it was a non-servicable part and should last the life of the vehicle, is this CORRECT?? I Wondered what others views were on this one?

Yeah pretty much correct......a good VW mechanic will be able to 'hear' if the chains need doing as they tend to rattle when change is required - although as with everthing there are horror stories of quiet but near to death chains !!

Most, due to the age of the car, get them done to be sure and usually at around 100k.

well my engine was recently swapped for a re-built one, my chains were very very quite but here is a pic of my belt tensioner.

2011-10-09125556.jpg

Yep my chains were 'quiet' and on further inspection turned out the tensioner had rubbed down to the metal.

As above, our chains were as quiet as a church mouse. This is what the tensioner looked like. Best to get top cover off and have a look.

DSC02206.jpg

There you go fella, like London Bus' - mention one and three come at once :D

Better safe than sorry then would be most peoples advise here.