emu

What Hand Torque Wrench ??

Was asked what I want on Christmas and this is an idea :)

It should be one in life purchase so not interested in cheap stuff but 300 pounds is out of range as well. What can you recommend up to 150 quid, was looking on ebay and can get snap on, teng, draper, britool but which is best. It must be 1/2 and not sure if I need more torque than 200Nm ?? it will be used on vr6 engine, anything needs more than 200Nm torque ??

this was a topic in the last year or so, and remember someone saying the cheaper stuff performed as well and in some cases better (more accurately) than some of the more expensive and desireable brands in independent tests.

i'm happy with my Halfords professional job, gets good reviews and reasonable money, and with the spare budget you can buy goodies instead!

Well snap on is good.... If it brakes you can get it fixed for free... (life time warranty).

200nm is alot, you will never need to tighten something that much. Ussualy bolts that require to be good tight, it will be something like 60nm + 90degrees (flywheels).

But I would save some money and buy not one but two. One 1/2 that makes 60nm up, and another one 1/4 that makes around 5nm to 60nm. At work I have two and both cheap ones not snap on or the like and do the work just fine.

Agreed about the Halfords Professional stuff. Snap-on I'd suggest for very heavy / garage use but otherwise the Halfords stuff is very decent for the home mechanic. And the Pro stuff has a lifetime warranty too I believe..

Yep, the Halfords ones are £69 and £79 on the shelf (way more than they used to be) but come down to £40 ish with the trade card...

Stahlwille who I mentioned above though do a different type of wrench, not spring based so very accurate - they were at the Classic Car Show last year

i have the halfords pro ones.

Not used them much though, but seem to of worked, deffo need two of them. Think halfords actually have 3 but i can't remember what the 3rd one was.

Let's be realistic. Why spend so much money on tools? You own a corrado. Next week your chains will go or your rear axle will implode and you'll wish you hadn't spent £500 on a torque wrench that you'll use 3 times a year.

2p :D

People with cheap torque wrenches, have you had them checked for accuracy? It could seem well made but me miles out, ours are all calibrated yearly in house, no point using one if it isn't accurate.

Thanks for answers. I like a proper tools as I don't like buy twice or more same tools. To be honest I won't be using it a lot so will think once again about a price. Halfords should be good enough.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Any thoughts about draper wrenches ??

had one of these for about 5 years http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S73110-SIGNET-TORQUE-WRENCH-PRO-1-2-DRIVE-20-110Nm-16-/310128467914?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item483518dfca and when i changed my engine over a few weeks back i just checked its accuracy againt my mates (who owns a garage) £650 snap on tourque wench, and it was 100% accurate compared to the snap on.

thanks for help but went for snap on, got it quiet cheap from ebay so some pennies left for other tools :)

I've got 3 torque wrenches, as it's a thing I use on a regular basic, both at work and home. I would try and find a Norbar torque wrench if I was you. I can't recommend anything better for your money, and I work in motorsport so need the best. My Snap On torque wrench needed calibrating after a year as it was off, but the Norbar torque wrench has been spot on for the last 5 years.

Hmmm, torque wrenches.....

I only bother with them on the important stuff and even then it's just to make sure all the bolts are torqued the same amount, not necessarily the right torque as it removes any doubt. I.e. wheel bolts, head bolts, subframe bolts etc.

Over time you develop a feel for when a bolt is torqued enough. I often find some of the manufacturer's figures are too low and I use my own judgement.

I have the Halfords Pro torque wrenches too but to be honest, they're not the best if you're a regular torquer!.

Compaint 1 - Nowhere near enough ratchet teeth. Typical scenario - torquing up the two 18mm front strut nuts. The wrench either hits the wing or the disk without tightening the bolt because there's no teeth inbetween. That's a massive dead zone, which is a complate pain in the arse if you have to hold the bolt still with a spanner at the same time. Long extensions from underneath increases the risk of the socket slipping off the nut/bolt without your other hand holding them steady and square to the head.

Complaint 2 - They intermittantly don't click at the softer end of the torque scale.

I think I'll take up Dude VR6's suggestion and look at getting a Norbar or 3!

Edited by Kevin Bacon