G-Lad

HT lead wont budge on my 1.8 16v (KR)

Howdy folks, long time no speak!

After feeling the old girl was running a bit rough I splashed out a new dizzy cap and rotor. On starting the engine, I noticed a spark from the top of the plug end of one HT lead, arcing across to the inlet manifold.

two of the HT leads appear to be split so I need to get a new / second hand set, but can I get the number 2 lead out? No!

the plastic lead-pullers are not up tp the job and just twist off. Im nervous of ripping the top of the lead off with pliers and leaving the long rubber section stuck deep in the KR head.

any advice?

obviously lubricants are a no no. It does appear to twist a little...

Thanks all

Chris

buy the metal vag lead tool from ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Spark-Plug-Lead-Removal-Tool-VW-Audi-VAG-VS5293-/110698906701?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19c62b444dcan you can spin them left to right to help free it up once the tool is locked on, also dont bother with second hand leads,my advice is to replace the plugs and leads with new genuine, fit once and be done with it and never look back!

I doubt that tool will work on the KR and I'm not surprised the HT lead tool won't pull it out. If I were you I'd spray some WD40 down the port and try and twist it loose, once you break the seal it should easily come off.

Thanks folks, I will try a little WD40 and see how it goes. I must admit I was jumping to conclusions about not putting lube near the spark plug, but if you think it's fairly risk free I will happily give it a try

Cheers :)