P3rks

1993 Dragon Green pearl VR6

I'm currently with Footman James, limited to 5000 miles per year. Fully comp paying £350. Great rate I think considering I live in London!

Got 6 points this year.....dreading how that will affect my renewal! =S

Its with Footman James - 0843 357 1917

I don't have a contact there, literally ring up and ask for a new quote for a classic car and you want an agreed valuation. It has to be a limited mileage policy to be able to have one though.

Spot on thanks, ours isn't a daily anyway so limited miles policy is what we'd be after with an agreed valuation.

Hey fella if you don't mind me asking what size and offsets you rocking there? Sits bang on IMO...

Steve, may also be worth trying Peter d James insurance too, my vr is with them with an agreed value for 10k for £260 and my Nugget on unlimited milage for

4k agreed for £160.

I like being old :)

Hey fella if you don't mind me asking what size and offsets you rocking there? Sits bang on IMO...

No worries at all man :cool:

I've actually been getting quite a few Pm's so here it goes...

Fronts: BBS RC041 17x7.5 ET41, 20mm adapters taking them to a final ET21. Wrapped in 195/40/17 Uniroyal Rainsport 2's

Rears: BBS RC042 17x8.5 ET41, 22mm adapters taking them to a final ET19. Wrapped in 205/40/17 Uniroyal Rainsport 2's

My arches have been slightly rolled by Banded Steels through a previous owner. The rear offside scrubs when there are dips in the road or ridges and also the front nearside scrubs the underside of the outer arch on full lock. Whether this is down to slight movement in the subframe/axle over 20 years of luxurious British roads or the amateur rolling job, I'm unsure. :scratch:

Saying this though, there has been no damage to the tyres at all; so whatever scrubbing it is, it must be only just touching.

Ideally I would like to see the rears with a 25mm adapter and a inch or so more lows and then the fronts with the 22mm adapters (which I have tried and they sit nicely) and more lows. I will be trying this out in the next few months after my arches have been professionally rolled as tight as they can be. :cheers:

Steve, may also be worth trying Peter d James insurance too, my vr is with them with an agreed value for 10k for £260 and my Nugget on unlimited milage for

4k agreed for £160.

I like being old :)

This^

Peter Best was the same price as Footman James for me. :smug:

Thanks mate...

I don't understand how your fronts sit like that with Et20... Mine are 8j and 15 ATM due to having to run spacers and this is how they sit...

e7af3902.jpg

Love the stance on yours man. I'm hoping to have mine sitting a lot better over the weekend as my arches are already rolled too.

Thanks again fella. Btw did footman James say anything about your VR having to be a second car to have the classic policy? Last time I tried a few companies told me I'd need another daily driver which makes no sense as I do no more then. 3-4k per year!

Cheers ;)

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Oh and be careful when rolling them further as you'll most likely end up needing paint work..

I reckon it sits well as is mate, looks very drivable too which is important with these cars!

Thanks mate...

I don't understand how your fronts sit like that with Et20... Mine are 8j and 15 ATM due to having to run spacers and this is how they sit...

Love the stance on yours man. I'm hoping to have mine sitting a lot better over the weekend as my arches are already rolled too.

Thanks again fella. Btw did footman James say anything about your VR having to be a second car to have the classic policy? Last time I tried a few companies told me I'd need another daily driver which makes no sense as I do no more then. 3-4k per year!

Cheers ;)

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Oh and be careful when rolling them further as you'll most likely end up needing paint work..

I reckon it sits well as is mate, looks very drivable too which is important with these cars!

Cheers dude!

Well, I've just done some geeky calculations :study: and with the extra 0.5" of width and the extra 6mm of ET yours actually poke out a further 13mm - ish compaired to mine. Although your poke looks a little more than that compaired to mine?

My front wheels are almost flush, I mean almost, they are about 1-2mm inside the arch:

76c5b500.jpg

I had to tilt the camera slightly to get the shot as a straight down shot made the wheels disappear completely, like I say, the wheels just inside the arch.

It could be 13mm difference and its just exaggerated by camera angle? Maybe when my arches have been rolled they could have been pulled slightly? They look very OE by shape. Could yours be non late spec, i.e not as wide?

And Yeah, Footman James require me to have another car, luckily I'm insured as a name driver on a few other cars so effectively the Corrado is a 2nd car.. i only do about 300-400 miles a month in her now compared to the 1200-1400 I was doing with my last job!

The arches need painting anyway, the paint has cracked in some places on the very very underside (when you stick your head right in the arch) from the previous rolling, so I'm getting them rolled tight then re-sprayed to stop any rust forming. I've been quoted a couple of hundred quid for a set of arches rolled and painted.. Luckily the rear of the arches have that small flat lip before it curves meaning only a very small section to paint. :dance:

Todays update involves booze.. lots of it..

I Am sooooooo... Hungover.

That is all. :pukeright:

A few small updates..

First off I was having my weekly poke under the bonnet and I found this! :puppydogeyes:

I was expecting it really as it is one of the renowned parts for failing..

4048c2f1.jpg

I can remember renshaws24v's thread asking about them and BristolBaron had mentioned he had some spare.. Good old Baz sorted me out. He's my homeslice :luvlove::camp:

2 days later this arrived:

f2d953aa.jpg

I also had a bulb out on one of my drivers side window switches, it was annoying me loads :bonk:

a426be9c.jpg

87 Jetta 16v hooked me up..

6cb17539.jpg

it's the little things in life :o

c4cc4afb.jpg

I also Picked up some H3 Osram Nightbreakers main bulbs to match my dipped, i used the free £5 paypal code last week so got them for about £7 posted. Sweet!

e0018e33.jpg

Final update!

My sunroof has always played silly buggers since buying it. It would always tilt, but when sliding it would only move 1/2" at a time, it did fully open, but the switch had to be pressed on then off, then on, then off then on, then off (you get the idea).. StueyB provided a replacement switch and Cheesy provided a new motor..

Old Switch:

286b0e3a.jpg

New Switch:

55f58118.jpg

Motor fitted at the same time.. And boom!

cce61c6d.jpg

Can anyone confirm though whether that's how far the sunroof should slide? Or should it slide further back?

:lol: been driving a corrado for 17 years and didn't know the switches were supposed to light up.

:lol: been driving a corrado for 17 years and didn't know the switches were supposed to light up.

I bet if none of yours work it'll drive you mad now! :dance:

It already is :lol: and my vr is 20 miles away so i cant even check and i cant drive till mid April now with the state i'm in :(

Right.. It's been such a while since I've updated, 18 months almost! A lot has happened on the car.. So expect some healthy updates in the next few days..

First update. I was getting fed up of the engine tapping sound so I first off replaced the original metal rocker cover with a later plastic type and new genuine gasket, that reduced the noise dramatically; I can only presume that the metal cover resonated the sound more than the plastic?

I also went ahead and ordered one of these:

http://www.awesomegti.com/brand/42-draft-designs/42-draft-stealth-oil-catch-can-golf-mk2-mk3-mk4

A draft 42 Stealth Oil Catch Tank finished in wrinkle black. It's an enclosed, but drain-able type of catch tank and the only one which has the correct sized inlets/outlets for VW's, it has about three gauze filters inside and the quality is unparalleled.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76303[/ATTACH]

My PCV valve was split; I've been told that this can contribute to burning oil and tapping sounds, plus I hate the thought of crappy old oil vapour being re-used and burnt with ignition anyway. The only issue was where to mount it. As you VR boys will know, the engine bay is pretty tight as it is, and I wanted to keep the catch tank accessible so the only option of gfitting was this area:

912b4489.jpg~original

So, I decided to utilise a spare bracket (the one which holds the engine loom connection block and aux water pump) and also some spare brackets which hold the fuel lines to the rocker cover.

7AD2EB61-D4A7-4F5B-B7F8-69799EF45710-6070-00000453F82B77EC.jpg~original

65D0F5A3-F2BE-4161-96F3-A34A585BE83F-6070-00000453FBF65838.jpg~original

A few welding lessons off my friend later; my first ever masterpiece:

46AF380C-8228-4F41-8853-CEAF42E4A5D7-6070-00000453EFA882E8.jpg~original

18E0C7CD-8C45-429F-8132-05DDCAC560EA-6070-00000453EB4498DE.jpg~original

927B2344-9A96-4DB7-82D3-BC1C37724944-6070-00000453F430E30D.jpg~original

A lick of VHT wrinkle black paint to match the catch tank:

977685C7-6A18-4C07-9F9C-A14EF8E88115-6070-00000453E74D2270.jpg~original

A bit of pipework and voilà:

83CF2411-D095-46BE-9A8A-03A3B1A9D8ED-16595-0000081ED2359E52.jpg~original

8A784BFA-13DB-4B02-BE07-DFB35845CB98-16595-0000081ED7720C06.jpg~original

The noise was reduced even further, I vented to atmosphere underneath the car utilising a small N&N filter on the end of the outlet pipe, which is a bit stinky; but that's what old VR's are all about, right?

Next update, brakes.

The VR brakes are, well, good; but the feel is horrific. They do not provide confidence at all.

I tried changing the fluid for some decent Millers DOT4, got all the old fluid and air out. Still rubbish. And bleeding the VR6 brakes is almost an impossible feat with the rubbish ABS system.

So I upgraded the fronts to Golf MK4 288mm brakes, brembo discs and genuine pads, with Goodridge stainless conversion hoses up front and over the rear axle , I also went as anal as changing every pipe up to the rear compensator.

b8cd90d7.jpg~original

bfac9a25.jpg~original

aea4cd51.jpg~original

09452ff2.jpg~original

5ad9b7a3.jpg~original

And honestly, after a full days work, was it worth it? No, not in the slightest. I didn't actually touch anything past the rear axle as I was waiting to find some MK4 rears, which probably didn't help matters. Still though, the brakes worked better, but that firm, confident inspiring pedal feel I was expecting just wasn't there. But we'll get onto that later :thumbleft: