Hartosh1

Not a Corrado but its a VR6

Well i know its not a Corrado but it is a VR6 hope nobody minds me putting this up

Found a mk3 OBD1 with 139k on the clock for a good price but it did need some tidying up

2011-07-01203336.jpg

Bought a mk2 golf off my mate a few months back with the intention of dropping a vr6 into it. After around 2 months ownership i started the conversion with 2 mates. Got alot done the first weekend engine came out and sub frame etc.

conismk2golf.jpg

2011-10-01134009.jpg

2011-10-01133944.jpg

My mate cleaned up the bay for me but i dont have any pictures of it unfortunately

I decided to go hydraulic clutch as finding a cable conversion kit was proving to be a nightmare and there was plenty of hydro set ups available.

My mate did all the chains on this car as i dont trust myself with the timing side of things. I wasnt going to bother with the head gasket but after trying to get piston 1 to tdc and snapping a bit of copper rod in the cylinder :bonk: i decided it was best just to do it for piece of mind.

2011-09-27183052.jpg

2011-10-29140817.jpg

2011-10-31195246.jpg

Had the valve stem oil seals replaced, valves relapped and head skimmed. Got a victor reinz head gasket set including head bolts for a decent price.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

How it stands today

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

Not quite finished yet still looking for a few bits but hoping to get it road worthy in the next 2 weeks

None of this would have been possible without the help of my 2 mates so alot of credit goes to them but i reckon we all pitched in the same.

winner.. would still love to see ultraviolets in it, however mk3 gti editions work pretty damn well.

good work, thats a really really nice mk2.

Well i know its not a Corrado but it is a VR6 hope nobody minds me putting this up

Not at all. Most people on here love all kinds of VWs, not just the Corrado, and we all like a nice bit of 6 cylinder action too.

Although if you did want a more specific forum, www.mk2vr6.com is a popular one.

awesome!! a mk2 vr6 conversion is what i want to start next year after my corrado bodyworks done,ive already got the donour car, obd1 which i got for £200! becuase it didnt drive {driveshaft bolts had snapped}65k on the clock and it pulls better then my corrado vr :(

what was the wireing side of the conversion like? and what was the hardest challenge to get it running? cheers.

mk3backrightshot.jpg

mk3DSdisconnected.jpg

had some bolts from my corrado which i didnt use, funny how things work out :)

mk3bentdsbolts.jpg

mk3BAY.jpg

at the mo this cars my daily, replaced the oil cooler seals and done an oil change and it drives spot on,

chains are a little noisey though

cant beat a mk2 vr6, such a weapon on the roads, first thing to do if you havent is an uprated rear anti roll bar as it totaly transforms the way it will handle with the heavier engine in the front.

Thanks for the replies and the information about the rear arb is noted.

Wiring was done by my mate but its pretty straight forward bud being obd1, you dont have to worry about any immobiliser issues. Just register on mk2vr6.com they have some great guides on doing the conversion. If i were you id do the chains while the engine is out as its so much easier!

Im hoping to get the car MOT'd in the next week if my top radiator flange arrives! I did drive it the other night but still needs a few tweeks.

Stunning looking mk2, nice job on the conversion :)

I recognise the donor mk3 I think...was it parked up outside a house down Water Lane in Wirksworth??