mrginge

chips & pulleys on a G60

HI all,

I have a few quick questions about changing chips & pulleys and other modifications for a G60. I think* I know a lot of the basics hence having the parts below and my current standard engine is in fine condition wit barely 80K on it.

At the moment i've a few potential set ups with the choice of standard, 70mm and 68mm pulleys running a Jabba chip set up for a 68mm pulley or a SNS stage 5 with raised rev limit an 68mm pulley but few details beyond that. From what i understand SNS chips can be much more customised - Correct??

My only other modification in the near future is likely to be a fast road spec cam (im dreaming of a schrick split duration but a Piper might do) as I don't want any visual modifications to the engine bay.

Really just after peoples experience with these set ups and if available rr graphs.

My aim is for a reliable circa 190-200hp set up that offers good mid/upper rev range performance but the majority of the smoothness of a standard motor - is that asking too much?

Thanks

Dave

EDIT dam it signed in on my brother's account - I should be on KERRLY1

Have you had the charger ported? This should be your first mod really and then once that been run in then look at a smaller pulley and chip to suit.

A rebuild is scheduled, am thinking of using JMR as a few people have recommended them and beyond Jabba and Storm developments i am not aware of anyone else who rebuilds chargers.

Having removed the charger outlet side recently there was minimal amounts of oil on and the oil> intercooler pipes are clean. I know the car has had a very easy life and has always been serviced regularly including things like the charger pulley belt every year regardless. This combined with boost readings within spec for a standard pulley im inclined to believe the charger would survive a chip & pulley for a few miles.

As above you should really look at getting your charger re-built by JMR or Jabba before its too late (i learnt the hard way)..... and while its there you should get it ported and polished e.g stage 4 or 5 as it really does build boost faster = quicker power delivery

as smaller pully goes you should probably go for the 68 mm probably the most common with the G60 bunch and no need for red top fuel injectors e.g 65mm pully and TBH you shouldnt really ragg the F**K out of the charger to get power..... its better obtained from better exhaust's and flowed heads ect (chargers are more expencive)

and for a chip i would have said G-werks for an SNS chip but they are no more.... so no idea for a chip these days ...... just call JMR with your needs for charger pully + chip and im sure he will guide you wlong the right path

good luck

As Slim said, Rebuild the charger and up-rate to stage 4. I have a 68mm pulley with the SNS chip and its just about right.

As you mentioned use JMR. John is a great bloke and his service and the work he carries out are top notch. I've had rebuilds done by Jabba and G-werks in the past but last time I was recommended JMR and the charger came back looking a lot better than when I had it done by the others. John has a 16v G60 and I'm sure he could also advise you on what pulley/chip would be best, he knows his stuff. I won't be sending my charger any where else in the future.