BMX-rado

morning all

Hey, ive recently bought a '94 2.0 16v and i know that forums are the best place to meet some decent people with the same interests. Ive always been into vw's and started off with a mk3 1.4, i hated it and my dad convinced me to get a mk2. After owning the 1.6 mk2 for a good year i was tempted for a gti and ended up with an 8v mk2 gti. I loved it especially being 18 at the time :D

Back to the 'Rado, it needs a decent scrub up but considering its a 17 year old car now im really pleased. Shes done 117k, one owner from new and a very good service history. But ive encountered a few problems since buying the car a little over a week ago. Fortunatly im still using the mk2 for now, until shes sold, because it doesnt want to run :( She starts from cold straight away but once warm it starts mis-firing and tries cutting out, plus she doesnt want to start again. Any ideas guys? (and gals) Me and my dad have a reasonable knowledge for engines but were both stumped by this.

Also could anyone shed any light on which wire tells you the oil temp on the MFA trip computer?

Im going to get some pics up for you lot, but only when shes on the road and im happy with how shes looking. So hopefully i'll sell the mk2 and be part of the group soon.

Sam

I know its bin long over due, but ive finally cleaned the car properly and just thought i'd share the pics i took earlier

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57165[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]57169[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]57173[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]57177[/ATTACH]

I'd start by checking the plugs are good, followed by the coil then the ignition module. Would definately recommend getting it on a vagcom if possible - could save alot of expense/head scratching... Good luck:thumb right:

Cheers guys. Im abit further with it running badly now. The ICV was shot, so ive had a new one and thats helped, but im starting to think that an injector is partially blocked as she misses lower down in the revs, so Im going to either get them cleaned or a new set. Ive also had her plugged in on a vagcom and it said an air leak, but ive smoke tested her and it seems fine, so i reckon that was caused by the ICV.

I too owned a mk2 Golf GTI 8v (for 10yrs) and have recently bought my first 16v 2l Corrado. I too am sorting out problems, spending money and have not got to the point where I love my Corrado!

The oil temp sender for the MFA is behind the cylinder head close to the distributor and has a spade connector that slides onto the sensor head which is like a drawing pin rather than a normal male spade connector (if that makes sense). My engine runs at oil temp of about 110-I think thats normal.

As for your running problems, and suspicions of issues with injectors I have a snake oil cure. Ive used 'magic bullet' in my BMW compact, my Pug 306 diesel and in my corrado and think it works!!! It claims to clean the fuel system and decarb the engine at the same time. It costs about £10/12 off ebay (car dose not m/c dose). All I can say is my experience is that after driving with this in the tank for 200 miles, the engine is more responsive, sounds different and appears to have lots more power. Ive used Redox and other products @ approx £4 over many years and dont think theres any comparison. In case youre wondering, I dont sell magic bullet, dont have shares in the company, have no connection with them. I am simply saying, an old car thats not done a lot of miles, has done lots of short journeys, wont run like a high mileage motorway car-it could well benefit from magic bullet/Forte/BG 44 or similar industrial scale fuel system cleaners.

Hello and welcome from another vw fan. Just a thought but 2 things to check for your warm start problem, first check the temp sender and secondly check the o2 sensor connection and the sensor itself. I know thats 3 things really but you get what i mean?