Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Funny noise when pulling away..

My VR6 has a funny 'grauunch' noise when I pull away after the car's been parked up. It only does it when its been sat for a while. I thought it was the front left caliper binding but I have replaced both disks and pads at the front and the mechanic said the calipers were fine.

I'm sure its coming from the front left side and it only does it once.

Any ideas?

Every corrado I have driven seems to do this, I always thought it was a sticky caliper but it isn't - May be to do with the ABS system?

Yeah, was gonna say, the ABS system does one final self-check of all the control valves at 7mph after the first turn of the wheels happens. This feels a bit funny on the pedals and through the car sometimes.

Yeah, it's part of it's normal self-test. It means it's working!!

If it doesn't make this noise it's probably going to light that annoying orange lamp at some point, and you're probably going to have to fork out for some bits!!

Cool, I've had the light come on 4 or 5 times since i've had the car and it normally goes off after restarting, if it comes on again i wash the car and that sorts it - seems to happen when the car is dirty and the sensors are getting clogged.

My ABS works (tested it using the kevhaywire 100mph wet slip road method) but I don't have the grinding noise. Should I feel worried/left out? :?

Bolster, you should immediately apply some Grind-O paste to all the bearings on your car. Since it's so expensive, you can use a simple mixture of builder's sand and water - this will do. Apply liberally to any metal surface that moves against another one.

If you don't do this immediately, you are in danger of a) missing out on the grindy noise and b) missing out on the joy of visiting the VW dealer and paying arse-clenchingly large amounts of money for replacement parts on a regular basis.

( ;) by the way, just in case someone thinks for a millisecond this is serious..)

( ;) by the way, just in case someone thinks for a millisecond this is serious..)

I think I've just found my new signature! :lol:

Bolster, you should immediately apply some Grind-O paste to all the bearings on your car. Since it's so expensive, you can use a simple mixture of builder's sand and water - this will do. Apply liberally to any metal surface that moves against another one.

If you don't do this immediately, you are in danger of a) missing out on the grindy noise and b) missing out on the joy of visiting the VW dealer and paying arse-clenchingly large amounts of money for replacement parts on a regular basis.

Sand in the airbox is also great for gas flowing your G-lader... :wink:

Yeah, was gonna say, the ABS system does one final self-check of all the control valves at 7mph after the first turn of the wheels happens. This feels a bit funny on the pedals and through the car sometimes.

LOL, how on earth did you find that out? LOL! Glad you've answered it though as my car has also always had a little twitch on the pedal every morning after the first gearchange....

LOL, how on earth did you find that out? LOL! Glad you've answered it though as my car has also always had a little twitch on the pedal every morning after the first gearchange....

It's written in the Corrado owners guide book, kev! RTFM! ;)

Ah mine also makes this noise, usually feel it through the clutch pedal as well.

Also I sometimes get a highish pitched squeak/groan coming from the front of the car :lol: , only happens moving from standstill and it is only occasional, any ideas guys?

It's written in the Corrado owners guide book, kev! RTFM! ;)

Yeah I should read that some day, might learn something!

K

Ah mine also makes this noise, usually feel it through the clutch pedal as well.

Also I sometimes get a highish pitched squeak/groan coming from the front of the car :lol: , only happens moving from standstill and it is only occasional, any ideas guys?

As you release the clutch? Mine does that sometimes

Yeah - I'd like to know what it is too.

Clutch seems fine (no judder or slipping). Feels/sounds more like a bearing (was going to say throw out bearing but not sure if my terminology is correct) in the clutch - am I talking out of my rear again? I'm not familiar with the nuts and bolts of the clutch. :roll:

I get a whine when start off in first as a I let the clutch out from the front/left side unless I go real gentle on the power...

Only happens in first though..none of the other gear changes..

Yep it sounds like we all have the same thing then. :?

Doesn't seem to be a major problem, but I'm sure it's not meant to make this noise :roll: