Critical_Mass

Track rod arms different on a VR?

Hi all,

Im rang my mechanic last week to get a pair of track rod arms. When he rang up to order them he was asked if they're standard width wheels on the car and told there's a different part number for the VR due to the wider tyres. Are the track rod arms slightly longer on the VRs to account for the wider track of the VR?

What confused us is whats the width of the tyres got to do with anything. The track width will still be the same regardless?

track width is measured between the centres of the tyre contact patches so depending on wheel offset and tyre width then I guess it's possible for the track width to change.

Or am I talking horlicks?

But then offset would also be a factor wouldnt it as the tyre may (in theory anyway) sit further in the arch or out thus changing where the center of the contact patch of the tyre would sit. Surely the track width in regards to the track rods would be from the hub to the centre of the car - the track rod will still fasten in the same place on the hub and steering rack regardless of tyre width.

I reckon he spoke to someone who was misinterpreting a diagram wrong but also right....

There is definately VR specific track rods as it does have a wider track and probably wider wheels too.

Tie rods

2.9 VR6 - LH 1H0422803A 55.00 40.56

2.9 VR6 - RH 1H0422804A 55.00 40.56

All models (excluding 2.9 VR6 & models with tyre size 205/50) - LH 191422803A 40.00 29.50

All models (excluding 2.9 VR6 & models with tyre size 205/50) - RH 191422804A 40.00 29.50

Tie rod ends

All models - LH 191419811 15.00 11.06

All models - RH 191419812 15.00 11.06

I did think the parts were different for the VR, but he gave them the VR part number and was told there's another part number based on the tyre width of 205 - all VRs came with 205 wide tyres so no idea why there's 2 part numbers for the VR

i think the numbers for VR track rods are 1H0422803A & 1H0422804A

They could be something else though the description on my receipt isn't too good

£55 each