krishen

Gearstick stuck in reverse.

Car was driving fine, pulled up to park, put the car in reverse parked up and tried to take it out of reverse but the stick refused to come out. Clutch is fine (only fitted 2 months ago) and the clutch pedal feels firm

Enough. Had a look under the gearstick but couldn't see anything amiss (not that I know what I'm looking for).

Also had a look engine bay side to see if something is obstructing the cables but nothing looks out of place.

Any suggestions? Is it likely to be the gearbox is gone?

Thanks

sounds like the shifter cable has jumped off the gear stick under the gaiter.Theres a C-clip that attaches to the end the hold the cable loop on and sometimes the clip breaks off and shifter cable loop pops off. Its a bit tricky to get in due to small space but an easy fix

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

happened to mine,put a washer and split pin in-never had a problem since

sounds like the shifter cable has jumped off the gear stick under the gaiter.Theres a C-clip that attaches to the end the hold the cable loop on and sometimes the clip breaks off and shifter cable loop pops off. Its a bit tricky to get in due to small space but an easy fix

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

happened to mine,put a washer and split pin in-never had a problem since

I've got a pic but can't load it at the moment. Will try later and hopefully you can confirm that's my issue (fingers crossed).

i seriously doubt it would be the gearbox,can you take it out of gear if you move the shifter tower in the engine bay?

give it a try when you get to the car but bear in mind it may be difficult if the cable is trapped between gear stick cable holders.Just lift the gaiter at look to see if both cable loops are still on.Theyre a bit difficult to see mind you so you'll need a torch

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

a long flat blade screwdriver can help too to get it on and get you car home to fix it properly

I tried to move the shifter tower in the engine bay but it wouldn't really budge.

Managed to get a couple of pics under the gear gaitor but again not sure what is/is not right?

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/krish0121/?action=view&current=IMG_0878.jpg

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/krish0121/?action=view&current=IMG_0877.jpg

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/krish0121/?action=view&current=IMG_0883.jpg

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/krish0121/?action=view&current=IMG_0881.jpg

Edited by krishen

Slight update.

Undid the gear cables at the selector and was able to move the Selector. So gearbox is working. The gearstick is still hard to move so thinking it may be a seized cable. Had a look at the circlips under the gator and they all look intact. Can't see what else could be causing the gearstick to get stuck.

Hopefully the car will be going to DG tomorrow and get sorted.

can you see the bottom cable where it connects on the gear stick,normally this one causes the problem as the cable jumps off and jams in the side

Yesterday i called up the rac to have the car towed to DG. When they arrived reconnected the cables to the selector and bobs your uncle, it worked perfectly. Went for a quick spin round the block and its fine in all gears.

Drove her up to DG this morning, Graham had a look and nothing looks amiss.

So there you have it, a self fixing corrado.

Thanks for the advise Dannyboy

My aunts been using the car for a few days and this morning she had the same issue. Put it into reverse to park up and the gearstick got stuck in reverse.

After about 10 mins she managed to get it into neutral and drive home with no further issues.

Back to the drawing board but not sure what to start replacing first. Gear linkage/cables or just bite the bullet and replace gearbox?

its deffo the cable on the gearstick then, this is excatly the problem i was having. you need to look at the bottom cable when you lift the gearstick gaiter cover up. with a torch you see it properly.at the end of the linkage there is a small C clip.it breaks and falls off.when you put it in reverse the cable will continue to jump off.A suitable washer and split pin is a perm fix but its very fiddly as its in a tight space.

ill try photograph where you need to look tomorrow and post it up

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

its a cheap fix, 1 washer,1 suitable split pin and lots of patience.or you can try find the c-clip in the gear stick housing

heres a diagram to help you out

the cotter clip holds the cable end on the shifter,it breaks off

Edited by dannyboy