Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Wilwood brakes

Does anyone know of a UK stockist that sells Wilwood brakes?

I remember flicking through a catalogue some years ago and stumbling on some Wilwood Ultralites (or something like that) which were small 4 pot billet calipers that can be used over standard sized discs. Ideal for putting under 15s. They looked narrow enough to not need spacers either.

And the other bonuses were light weight (about 3-4lb) and cost, less than £100 each IIRC?

I don't feel the standard VR brakes are strong enough tbh, hence the query!

Cheers

K

Ah, I might give them a miss then! Thanks for the warning!

Brembos are the way to go but I don't want to change the wheels. Must be another way of getting some 4 pots under 15s?

K

Compo Mo 7-15 goes over 15s

Or you can always try some spacers. I found my 6-13 ET 33 BBS RA needed 50 mm spacers on both sides to clear my Audi 90 256 brakes on the G40 :)

how about the rover 216/volvo 4 pot combo that the mk 1s used to run.

isn't the brembo issue down to us having vented hubs while the seat doesn't. and thoughts on using a seat hub or isn't this a option?

i ask this as a question not putting it as a statement.

I rember reading somewere that Tarox do a Caliper kit that will fit under 15" wheels, they are 6 pots as well. 8) I think that they are the B28 or B32

The price was prity good too, about £350 for a set.

That Place in Essex Called ELITE used to stock the as i was going to get a set for my MK2 Gti.

found some pics.

check out the Tarox site, they are listed under the catalouge section

hth.

Dav

Cool, they look neat! I'm guessing 6 smaller pots can press harder than 4 larger ones? Or is it simply just a case of compact packaging dictates it?

K

I think is a bit of both really, did have a really good look at them a while ago and i was very impressed by them.

Kind of seemed to good to be true un till i actually got to see them, 6 pots to fit under 15"'s , nice.

I don't feel the standard VR brakes are strong enough tbh, hence the query!

im sure a while ago you were telling me how good the standard brakes are :roll: stop spending money on your car...you'll only grumble about it later. :lol:

i expect the std VR brakes are v similar to G60.

Id say the G60 ones only just pass when your on them lots. they work but not that good.

A few of my mates use AP 6 pots with 315 and 335mm disks on their imprezas and they really work. we got more clearence problems than them though.

G60 brakes are sharper than VR6 ones. I think this is due to the VR having a 1mm bigger master cylinder, just a case of the classic hose scenario. Wider bore = less pressure but more fluid. So in other words the VR6 brakes *should* come into their own when you really stamp on them whereas the G60 brakes offer much better initial bite at slow to moderate speeds. Well, that's what I've found by driving both the G60 and a VR anyway.....

K

My VR brakes really scare me.... I thought there was a problem with them.. just turns out VR brakes don't fill me with confidence. Would be rreeallly up for some calipers that fitted inside the speedlines... did think about the Brembos, but I'd have to get all new suspension and then a set of 16"s ( well at least 16" ). Think i'm still used to my ex-pug 1.9 brakes.. but then it did weigh the same as a family of refugees.. who were very hungry

My VR brakes really scare me.... I thought there was a problem with them.. just turns out VR brakes don't fill me with confidence.

Check your rear calipers mate because all the weight of the VR lump proves hard going on just the front brakes.....as I've discovered for the past year! The rear calipers do a bit more than you're normal FWD rear setup. When they work, you can really feel them hauling the car to a halt.

4 or 6 pots under the 15s would finish it off nicely though.

K

wow, that TAR-OX kit looks amazing. 6 pots under the stock speedlines is exactly what I have been looking for. Keep in mind, however, that your braking ability is still limited by the size of our mastercylinder. A nice mod would be to also install a mk3 golf/jetta master cylinder, though it require modification to the pedal cluster.

http://www.bahnbrenner.com sells an 11" rear brake kit that basically upgrades us to mk4 aluminum calipers and 11" rotors. Normally though, I think stock rears are fine, though with large wheels they disappear. I would recommend HAWK pads to everyone....I have them on my car and the braking ability is amazing and they generate virtually no dust.

Cool, they look neat! I'm guessing 6 smaller pots can press harder than 4 larger ones?

I don't think that's true, Kev. I suspect it's more about spreading the pressure across a wider area of pad myself. The OE single piston can quite happily exert far more pressure than any mere human being can apply on the brake system.

* - (But while I think about it - if the replacement caliper has more piston surface area (i.e. the combined hydraulic surface area of the pistons), that will give you more mechanical advantage. You'll have to push the pedal further, but that will allow more pressure to be applied at the pad..)

can you use the golf mk4 calipers on the rear?? Or are the standard 1's good enough>?

Yes mate, that's what I've currently got on the back of my VR :lol:

They bolt straight on. All you need is a pair of MK2 to MK4 Goodridge conversion hoses and you're done. They work a lot better than siezed MK2/MK3 calipers I can tell you!!

Kev

weird thing is I had the C serviced like 2weeks ago!! I would've hoped if there was a problem then they would've told me about it....... but then they did also 'forget' to change the brake fluid!

Also where could I get the conversion hoses from?