duncgti

Few questions for the corrado genius's out there!

Hi guys spent a bit more time on the c today and found a few more problems :( . The first problem is the wipers dont work on any settings other than fast, no intermitent, i thought it may have been that the motor had packed up but after searching on here i have found out i can change the intermitent wiper relay switch, is this relay number 19 or 99? and has anyone had this happen to them?, i also changed the wiper stalk for a brand new one as i thought it may have been the contacts inside the unit so it rules that out as a problem.

Secondly i ran it up to temperature to make sure the rad fans worked at the correct temps and it worked fine apart from after putting the car away the fan decided to stay on for another 10 minutes :) so i disconected the battery and done a bit more searching and found out that the cause may be the rad fan switch which needs replacing.

And finally the abs light is constantly on...i did drive it and aplied the brakes sharply but the abs didnt kick in i really dont know where to start with this as there are relays, sensors, pumps and an ecu that could be at fault...i know you guys are gonna say vagcom but the car isnt on the road at the moment so cant really get that done and would like it sorted befor the mot. I was planning to have the wheels of tomorrow and give the sensors a good clean.

Basically what i want to know is does it sound like im on the right tracks with these faults and the way im going about fixing them? i have tried searching as much as possible but the opinion of more knowledgable c owners would be really apreciated.

ps its a 1993 vr6

Thanks

Im in ruislip, middlesex are if someone did have vagcom i could reward them with tea and petrol money, maybe even a bacon sarnie :)

a quick one to do is to remove the ABS ecu and see if the connections are furry/corroded or even loose,as Ive gone thru 2 of them in the past 5 years due to slight water ingress corroding the connections and snapping the pins

editted to add

the ABS ecu is behind the passenger side plastic footwell kickplate

Edited by vr6storm v2
additional information

Try a new wiper relay (can't remember the number ) if this doesn't fix it,your problems in the wiring ! Mine did something similar,after the headlight switch malfunctioned and burnt/melted the wires ! Mine was the plug going into the fusebox !

Sorry I took no pics,good luck

Wiper relay is 99, available from a scrap yard near you. any VW, Passat etc of recent vintage have them, and sometimes they just jump into a secret pocket, strange. Earlier one is 19 which does NOT have variable wipe.

As far as your rad fans running after switch off is concerned, it may not be a fault, I know for a fact the G60 has a underbonnet temp sensor which runs the fan after switch off if the temp is above its threshold, mine does it all the time in the summer & after a run in the winter, poor battery takes a pounding. I dont know if the VR6 is the same but it may well be, needs a VR6 driver to confirm, I just dont want you to change the rad temp switch/sensor unecessarily.

hi guys i checked the relay today to see if it was the problem and it wasnt even there..so picked up a new one and the wipers are now working fine! as for the radiator fan still running i went back to it this morning and re connected the battery on the cold engine and the fan started running again! so i disconnected the fan switch on the side of the rad and it cut the fan so im going to replace that tomorrow and hope it fixes it. Also after realizing that one relay was missing i checked for any others and it is missing relay 1,5 and 7 I've used the search but cant find the relay layout for a vr6 just g60 so if anyone cant tell me if they were spares or if relays are needed that would be great im trying now to be a newb but just cant find the info i need with search. thanks in advance

I'll take a picture of my fuse board in my Vr and post in morning , there is a g60 on the breakers near me pretty much barebones but on my last vist there was some relays and fuse board left I can grab for you and post if the relay you need is there .