Drewie

KR to ABF supercharged?

Hi all, new to the forum but not VW or forums in general, this one just seemed to have the most info on corrados funny enough!

I have done a search and I can't find much info about ABF conversions in corrados, is it the same deal as it is putting one in a mk2? Or is there slight niggly things that are different?

Reason I ask is that I looked into supercharging a 16v for my mk2 and it became apparent that the easiest 16v route is the ABF.

Cheers all!

fairly straightforward although like the mk2 the block height is a little higher so you may have minor issues with the downpipe clearance, only real difference over the mk2 would be the cables for the cable change box which can touch custom downpipes. Plenty have been done though as the ABF is a nice engine, what about turbo? There's a few very quick mk2 ABF turbos around and I'd imagine the revvy nature of this engine is pretty suited to a turbo.

So to install an abf into a corrado kr, it's; loom, ecu, any engine mounts needed, any exhaust stuff etc? I think I'll use the old g'box that's on it, it'll save me changing to cables.

Seems an easy install, building it will be the hard/costly part! :camp:

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Oh, and to answer the turbo bit, I just prefer superchargers, for some reason just not keen on turbos. Plus all the exhaust work etc.

I have a yurning for a supercharger lol

I've put one in mine, if you get stuck give me a PM, i found it quite hard to get information!

Cheers bud, I'm having some trouble finding any info too!

Did you find it best to copy the mk2 ABF conversion guides?

I just went for it tbh, i'm quite slow but very methodical! The main problems I had were because mine had a chopped loom, so I guess you might find it easier!

Rowan, is there any chance you could post up a sort of guide or parts list required for stickying.

As you said there's not much info about, and I'm thinking of doing it in the summer. I'm sure others will think this too in the not to distant future with KR's dying and ABFs readily available from rusty old mk3s!

Would make a good knowledge base as to how you go about it, parts needed, apparent obstacles and ways round them etc etc...........:o

So to install an abf into a corrado kr, it's; loom, ecu, any engine mounts needed, any exhaust stuff etc? I think I'll use the old g'box that's on it, it'll save me changing to cables.

Seems an easy install, building it will be the hard/costly part! :camp:

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Oh, and to answer the turbo bit, I just prefer superchargers, for some reason just not keen on turbos. Plus all the exhaust work etc.

I have a yurning for a supercharger lol

Just to clarify, you want to stick an ABF into a Corrado or a mk 2 Golf?

Assuming it is the Corrado route then you don't need to mess around with a mk 2 Golf gearbox as the mk 3 ABF unit already has the 228mm flywheel that is used on the cable operated gearbox (all Corrados came with a cable change box, hence the 228mm flywheel).

Wiring loom wise, your best bet if using the Corrado is to replace the entire loom at the fusebox end (easy enough with the engine out although removing the brake servo is a right pain) I assume you are going down the aftermarket management route - probably megasquirt? If so then you only really need power, a custom loom to suit is best and keeping in mind the supplied case for 'squirt isn't watertight then you are better off routing it through the passenger side of the bulkhead using the LHD fusebox wiring loom hold (there is a rubber bung fitted) this means you can easily locate the 'squirt control box in the glovebox area.

As for supercharging an ABF lump, roughly the same rules apply as supercharging a KR - are you going G60 or one of the various screw charger routes?

If G60 then the biggest headache is belt setup - pulley offsets need calculating and don't be tempted to go with a toothed belt or a solid tensioner, the G60 needs belt slip to prevent shock loads on the charger.

A lot of aftermarket 16vG60 kits don't work too well on a RHD vehicle - I have found the RPM Tuning kit to be well made and well thought out but there delivery can lead much to be desired sometimes.

From my personal experience you will do it all once and then do it again taking everything you have learned to improve the enginering of the final product - make sure you get the pulleys and belts sorted before the block goes into the car as its a lot easier that way!

Finally, despite sounding very chav engineering save yourself a fortune and just fit a set of stacked headgaskets to the ABF to get the comp ratio down - its proven to be reliable and stops you spending £1000 on pistons and rods etc.

Cheers for they essay :)

Yeah, it is going to be on a corrado, about 15mins after saying about converting to cables, I realised that all corrados have cable change :smug:

I am going to go through the MS route, I've posted a couple threads on CGTI too, and done a bit more searching. I've exchanged PM's with the username "Toyotec" and I think I'm going to pay him to build be the ECU as I want it to be reliable, and that will depend on build quality, as I've never done it I don't feel confident in myself.

However I will be building the loom with new plugs etc as I want to route it differently to standard and I want to tidy the bay.

The charger I will be using will be an Eaton m62 or m90, depending what becomes available to me at the right price, although I think the m90 is a tad too large.

The brackets will all be made by an engineer friend I hope, can all be billet then, would lower my costs too. :)

My plan so far is to buy the engine and the charger and figure all the routing, the engine will be rebuilt, and have the crank and flywheel lightened, reusing the conrods, pistons and valves if they are good.

While I'm building the engine, I hope to source a car to put it into, take the engine out and relocate the battery to the boot and will use a bag inside the wing for a washer bottle. The bay wont be "smoothed" but it will be tidied and unnecessary bits deleted.

I will be making my own fuel rail and obviously bigger injectors with hopefully 4bar fuel pressure.

I will also be stacking head gaskets as like you say, it saves a grand on the cost. Also, it was fine for manufacturers back in early turbo days :)

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

I will also be using wasted spark hopefully.