Wullie

Unpleasant surprises.

Bit of a rant I suppose.

Went on a Corrado bit collection trip the other day and met with a couple of surprises as it’s been a while since I’ve been allowed out.

The motorway service centres we stopped at now have a two hour max free parking limit. If you want to stay longer you have to make a phone call and pay £10. Penalty for not paying - £80. The system is regulated by number plate recognition cameras which record your arrival and departure. Seems a bit cynical to me. We only really stopped for comfort breaks but if you stopped for a meal and a browse two hours isn’t long.

Worst bit was the London emissions charge which we’d never even heard of. First we knew of it was on the A4 going into London while in the outside lane. Sign said we entering an emission zone, cue a WTF is that moment. Asked about it and couldn’t find out much. Leaving London came across the same sign while crawling in traffic so pulled out the laptop and looked it up, did a vehicle reg check and voila a £100 pound charge for taking a campervan to London. If we hadn’t realised, or thought it was for heavy lorries or such it would have been a £1000 fine. How do the inhabitants live down there what with congestion and now emissions charges. Next thing will be breathing charges for the slightly cleaner air.

So glad i dont live n work there anymore , there have been ads on the radio , vans over a certain age will be subject to a £200.00 daily charge !!. Theres alot for sale on the bay ,as they have to buy newer vans .

Its another rip off under the guise of green taxation, I havent been into London by car since about 1972 & now theres no chance of it ever happening again thank goodness...

It doesn't yet affect cars, vehicles affected are listed, roughly, here http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17700.aspx

If you think you may be affected you can check your vehicle by reg no here https://lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b/pb/lezComplianceProvideVRM.faces

Outside or on the M25 you are OK but inside the M25 you gotta cough up.

They must have been dropping revenue from it as they recently changed the requirement to a higher specification to make more vehicles eligible to pay. I'm just wondering how long it will take Glasgow and Edinburgh to catch on!