FACECUTTR

Gearbox issue

Hi guys my mate has a 1.8 16v that i can get for 400 quid, it has 180k on the clock and loads of history.

Has been lying in a garage for the last 5 years and needs a respray on the bonnet and both bumpers.

A bit of tlc and it will look great BUT ........

He drove it out of the garage parked it up and let it run for a bit and knocked it off.When he started it to drive it back in it would not move.

No gears at all but no grinding.

Any ideas whats goin on i tried the buyers guide but it had no information.

All info would be greatly appreciated.:scratch:

Why gearbox?

Sounds more like a clutch issue to me.

You expect the buyer's guide to cover cars that have been stood for 5 years and don't move? :scratch:

Welcome to the CF :grin:

Sorry I just meant, what else led you to think it was the gearbox? Unless it was knackered when it was parked up, a gearbox, apart from having manky oil, should still work ok. Hence, if there is no drive, the clutch is the first thing I think about. But I would imagine there should be some sort of drive.

I never want to see one broken but it's not really worth all that much. But it's definitely worth saving if you have the time and money.

Just strange that it drove out then just no bite from the clutch. If it drove id have it down to my cousins garage.

I love them and always wanted one and the fact that its only the the paint and the clutch i thought it might be a good base to start.

Would help if there was some more info to help diagnose. Does it go into any gear? Is the gearstick just slack? Is there any bite from the clutch at all? Does the clutch pedal feel normal?

Ill pop over to him in the next few days and have a good look around and see whats going on and then ill pop the info on here.

Thanks for your help.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Could it be as simple as that ?

Ill pop over to him in the next few days and have a good look around and see whats going on and then ill pop the info on here.

Thanks for your help.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Could it be as simple as that ?

yes !

Assuming the 1.8 16v KR engine has the same gearbox setup as a Mk2 Golf, then look at the gear linkages, if the gearstick is slack. My Mk2 used to lose gears because the plastic linkages snapped, which happens when the cups on the plastic bits crack. Also, because gear selection is based on rods and clamps (not cables like more modern cars) then something may have slipped.

Has the clutch cable snapped or auto adjusted itself too short ie not engaging the clutch?

even if you have to salvage a gearbox and pay a back street garage to fit it with a new clutch, I expect you'll still be on the healthy side of £500 (assuming it IS the same bits as a common Mk2 Golf 16v). Breaking a car due to gearbox issues seems a bit extreme to me :)

good luck!

chris