Sign in to follow this  
chargedG60

catalytic converter question

i recently bought a 90' corrado g60......the previous owner punched the cat and its now empty.....i put an aftermarket exhaust from brullen from the cat back.....my question is if there isnt any cat or no material inside of it will it effect how the charger boosts and the cars performace with little or no amounts of back pressure??

i was also told that there was a chip thats made in europe for g60's that adds something like 25-30hp just with a chip.....i dont think its true but if anyone knows any info that would be cool......thanks

if there isnt any cat or no material inside of it will it effect how the charger boosts and the cars performace with little or no amounts of back pressure??

No. there will be no difference to the charger....... there will be differences to the torque and power curves of the car, mid range torque wil suffer slightly, peak power will increase slightly.

i was also told that there was a chip thats made in europe for g60's that adds something like 25-30hp just with a chip

As far as I know there is no chip that does this on its own, but you do get replacement chips for altering the feuling maps for smaller charger pulleys and higher pressure feuling.

You have them in the states too. SNS and Bahn Brenner motor sports both sell chips, BBM sell a pulley/Chip/fpr package.

remember to make sure you know the condition of the charger before you go giving it a small pulley.

i dont know much about the 9a set up, but from the year of your car, I will guess u dont care!

You cant chip the kr in the normal sense of the word, but you can put a piggy back chip on it. The end result is the same, so I suppose the easy answer is yes. K-Star or V-sam i think are the two main ones used on that engine.

HTH

andycowuk,

Is it worth it what kind of costs are involed and what gains will i be looking at...??? Or is this mod one of the last this you would do to a 16v Kr

:offtopic1: I am not sure....i think its about £200 to get the k-star on and mapped, and this gets rid of your pinking that you get from the KR and improves the low end torque by miles and slightly improves peak power. I didnt go that route when I had the 16v, I put a 2l bottom end on, and was aiming to put stand alone management and throttle bodies on it. AFAIK Kevhaywire had k-star on his 1.8 16v turbo golf, I guess he will be better versed in the ins ans outs of k-star. I suggest that you start your own thread as we are a little off topic here!

Apollogies to chargedG60!