jimmymcq

bonnet release cable

hi guys please help if you can. I need a bonnet release cable for my VR. The s clip (metal bit) has snapped off of the cable. I have all of the other parts but if any of you have a complete cable i could change out the whole thing. I have tried vw but they are as usual being really helpful telling me they can then cant get the bit and im now waiting for a definite answer from VW but want to put the car back together having done my matrix.

thanks

jimmy

536823531 - CABLE

535823555 Nipple

N0102631 Screw

Buy from Vw brand new at least it will last another 15 years then

536823531 - CABLE

535823555 Nipple

N0102631 Screw

Winner, cheers dude :-)

I wouldn't count on it...I've just fitted a brand new Vw one, tried the lever a few times before I closed the bonnet, felt nice and free, but the ridiculous clip snapped again. Absolute crap.

VW are giving me some slavver about not being able to get one. did you get it from a dealer? how much was it?

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Im going to give VW a kick either tomo or monday. if a new one isnt stupid money ill just buy new but if not i'll give you a shout back. What sort of money you after? Cheers for getting back to me quick.

is it the clip at the handle end or bonnet end? i spent an arm and a leg on a gruvenparts one and either i fitted it wrong or its crap but it works!

Aye, I had to buy the whole cable too mate. Thought I may as well anyway so that the actual metal line/casing are nice and new. It was £35 quid plus the nipple which was about £7 quid. All for it to break again straight away :-/

Will be taking it back tomorrow! and then I'll fit the new one with some added strength somehow. The same idea as Vw would be fine if the metal was thicker with a block on top, the block should have a push fit hole for the end of the cable. Why they didn't do that I don't know, it's obvious that the stress of the cable/over engineered bars in the bay will pull it over and snap it.

Guys, having changed a fair few of these now, I've noticed that the route of the problem seems to come from the metal sprung rod sections which are fitted into the slam panel that act as locks agains the bonnet pins.

Over time these weather badly and become extremely tough to move even under the force of the bonnet cable, sometimes lodged solid.

When you are pulling on the bonnet release lever, this in turn pulls the internal wire and creates a scissor effect on the two rod tops in the slam panel. This then allows the bonnet pin stacks to pop the bonnet (fingers crossed).

Unfortunately the weak link in this system appears to be the clip on the end of the wire which holds the outer pipe still whilst allowing the inner wire to be pulled through, without this clip however the whole system is rendered useless.

In summary, my advice would be to lubricate/refurbish if not replace the metal rods in the slam panel. Having done this on a friends car, the bonnet pop with a new cable is literally effortless and I imagine how it was the car rolled off the forecourt.

If you're going through bonnet cables like hot dinners then I'd recommend this course of action. The job is a tad fiddly but 100% worth the effort and you'll never have to worry whether the bonnet will or won't open again.

Edited by StueyB

I'd agree with that, the scissor design and the bars are definitely where all the stress is. And they do far outweigh (In strength/stress terms) the silly little clip.

Unfortunately in my case they are really free and easy to move, cable felt great when first fitted so must have been a weak clip or something? Not quite sure. I fitted it slightly on the 'under tensioned' side too rather than pulling the inner cable too tight, so that full pull of the handle didn't stop too soon and try and stretch the inner if you know what I mean.

Easy enough job for anyone else considering it anyway, pop the fusebox down. Unbolt the metal nipple, slide it off, unclip the cable from the inner wing, pull out the two rubber grommets, release cable from handle, pull handle end through into engine bay (Watch the cable doesn't wallop you or the paintwork!), then pull the hinge end through into the scuttle tray, the plastic nipple will come off along the way. Do the exact opposite to replace.

In that case I'd say potentially old, brittle cable/clip. See if VW will exchange it for a different one..?

I'd also say possibly too much tension on the inner cable..? I've had this happen also, made one good cable out of two broken ones. Fitted the cable and on first pull, we heard a nice snap->ping noise and guess what had broken..?

This was with the cable under a large amount of pressure due to its almost too short length.

Best of luck chap.

My dear Corrado magicians I have a question...

Yesterday my bonnet shut and I did not manage to open it again. On pulling release cable it was only unlocking offside lock, but the nearside was still locked no matter what I did.

I've checked on Wiki as there is a fantastic "how-to-guide" through this problem and funny enough, first solution worked :) - I mean pushing down on bonnet while pulling release cable, it opened my bonnet.

So while I managed to open the bonnet I checked the following:

1. Cable is OK on both ends, nipples, what not - all seems to be moving fine (applied some wd40)

2. Pulling release cable moves the clips in slam panel (both release fine)

3. I checked if the springs are moving fine (the ones attached to the bonnet itself)

4. These locking clips inside slam panel, seem to move fine. They are bit stiff but they move by hand and also by cable

As a precaution I removed grill and attached string to that nearside clip so in case my bonnet shuts again I will be able to pull by string (until problem will get solved for good). So I shut the bonnet and guess what... yeah it would not open again. Same culprit (nearside lock not releasing). So tried pulling on cable (the one I attached as a precaution) and no luck. I didn't tried very hard thought, thinking will try the "working solution" on pushing bonnet while releasing cable - abd again that worked just fine.

So I'm not sure what to do next?

Should I tighten that nipple (nearside) on the cable as far as it's possible? To make sure it releases fine. On my observation it already was releasing fine but maybe it need a bit more?

Anything else I might have overlooked or is worth checking?

Adjust the nearside "bolt" and check your string works ! I put wire on mine while I was adjusting.

Make sure everything is greased and oiled,adjust a little at a time,

Good luck

you have a rubber bung on either side of your slam panel that are used to adjust the shut lines of the bonnet... wind the nearside one either in or out.

there is either too much or not enough pressure to release the bonnet from its lock...

I suspect the bung needs to go down a little bit if youre having to push the bonnet down to get it to release

Allright, thanks for advice.

So just adjust the bolt bit by bit - sounds easy (but not too jinxed it - I am going to say, dam that looks complicated) :)

ps. I have just noticed I put my post in Wanted section...

To hopefully prevent this from happening i modified the setup by the pull handle so i can adjust the tension on the whole lot from inside the car.[ATTACH=CONFIG]54069[/ATTACH]

this was done by attaching a solder-less nipple to the lever arm and securing the cable through it.

The zip ties are no longer present as i have added a bracket to accommodate the adjuster screw

you have a rubber bung on either side of your slam panel that are used to adjust the shut lines of the bonnet... wind the nearside one either in or out.

You sir, simply rule. I owe you a beer man.

Tightening it clockwise fixed the issue for me. Everything works as intended again. yay :)