Sign in to follow this  
Matt GTi

Air leak

Not sure if this is a problem or not. I have just been to check the water on my VR, as it is loosing quite a bit, I started the engine up as I was bored at work just to make sure everything was OK, when I noticed what sounded like an air leak. It's coming from what I can only describe as a "box" (which is made of the same material as the hoses) to the rear of the engine near the bulk head. It has 3 or 4 hoses going in/out of it. One of these is a thinish one that joins on to the hose were the induction kit is. Were the join to this box is, I think the hose has split, as I'm sure there is air leaking from the joint.

I have not noticed any problems with the car, just that noise. Is this a vital problem?

Sorry for the long post, and the lack of technical info. Any help appreicated.

Cheers

Are you sure it's not the idle valve's noise suppressor, which is a liilte box behind the throttle body. They do make a loud hissing noise and is normal.

If not that then probably your PCV hosing is perished. A pic would be handy if you've got a camera on your phone?

This is the best pic I could get.

air_leak.jpg

Cheers

Yep that is the Idle Valve's noise damper. It's just a plastic box with some sort of black foam like stuff inside it. Rest assured, they do make a loud whooshing noise, especially when the engine is cold and the air is denser. Nowt to worry about.

K

Cool cheers Kev. It just seems that one of the hoses is split were it joins the box, it feels like a split anyway. (It's the one that you can just see at the top left of the box)

Cool cheers Kev. It just seems that one of the hoses is split were it joins the box, it feels like a split anyway. (It's the one that you can just see at the top left of the box)

If the hose is definitely and visibly split, you'll need to change it really. Try removing the hose, block one end and blow into the other and listen for leaks.

I just think the noise back there sounds worse than it is.....

K

The one at the top left is just a mounting lug for the box - there's no actual air going through that joint - there's just an in and an out at the bottom.

I thought mine was cracked because of the loud noise, and if I shrouded it with my hands the noise changed - making me think there was a leak underneath it - but I took it off, blocked one hole a tried blowing through it! Definitely no leak! They're just noisey by nature!

The one at top left is just a mounting lug for the box - there's no actual air going through that joint - there's just an in and an out at the bottom.

I thought mine was cracked because of the loud noise, and if I shrouded it with my hands the noise changed - making me think there was a leak underneath it - but I took it off, blocked one hole a tried blowing through it! Definitely no leak! They're just noisey!

Are you sure, as the hose connects to the hose for the induction kit?

Interestingly, you have to lose the noise damper when you fit a Schrick Manifold.

These noise dampers have been known to explode too, so may be an idea to remove it anyway as it doesn't do much. Car runs and idles just the same without it !

Are you sure, as the hose connects to the hose for the induction kit?

Yeah I'm sure :-) I had mine to bits on Monday when I was cleaning out my ISV - there's a solid pip on the top left of the box that plugs into the mounting hole on the side of the hose - no air going through there at all :-)