robrado974

How much gearbox oil ?

Did a search but cant find the answer now [proberbly me ]. There was a thread up saying about ,to much and you will cause damage, not enough same thing .

So how much do i need to put in .Thanks Rob

Fill it till you can't fill it any more. The fill hole is on the side of the gearbox and once you reach the level of the fill hole you won't be able to put any more in. You need 2x 1 litre bottles but you'll have some left over.

Thanks Jim, i bought 2x 1 litre bottles so will be ok . Also mentioned in the thread was the idea of filling it from the top with a long tube , got to be better than doing it from underneath.

Yes, 2litres if warm and well drained. I filled from jacked, but to ensure I didn't overfil, I whipped out the fill plug again on the level. It's really hard to undo the seized drain and fill plugs unless you're under it. Don't forget to get the fill plug out first. It gets really corroded and stuck due to road salt etc... My gear change loads better after doing mine and filling with that redline stuff.

Wedge the 1L bottle somewhere in the engine bay, then use a flexible tube/hose down to the gearbox fill plug. You will have to give the hose a quick suck to get the oil moving, so careful not to get a mouthful of gear oil!

Keep adding to the original bottle then you won't need to do anymore sucking when changing the bottles over. Keep an eye on the fill hole and once it trickles out your about done :)

And as G-Lad said, make sure you can remove the fill plug before you drain.....really stiff!!

Thanks for advice ,i did do it a while back but its been leaking out of the drain plug ,so need to sort that then start again .