Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

1.8T with cracked turbo

I'm currently helping my friend re-build the head on his Seat Leon Cupra 1.8T. AUQ engine code.

It started making a rattling noise whilst driving along the M3, the AA were called and had to deliver it home.

After a trip to the Seat dealers who pulled the head off the following was found;

A self tapping screw!! in one of the cylinders, and marks from it in 3 cylinders!! One of the lambda sensors had it's wires cut with no cable left for repair, the exhaust manifold has a small crack on the flange where it joins the turbo running from one of the bolt holes to the bore of the manifold, this would not cause a leak to atmosphere, also there is a corresponding crack on the turbo flange.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Is it common, apparantly it is and is perfectly servicable.

Any comments would be greatfully received.

How on earth did a screw get in the cylinders??? Sounds like some right cowboys have worked on it :?

Cracked manifolds and turbos will need replacing, especially the manifold as cracks can creep like windscreen cracks unless you drill a small hole at the end of the crack and plug weld it in a furnace. That's a lot of hassle though so try and source a replacement from a junk yard if you can. Turbo Technics can inspect and repair turbos, aswell as supplying new ones because you don't want to go to Seat without a mattress to fall back on when they give you a price!

K

Current Leons come with a 3yr warranty, so it might have just expired. The screw in the engine would void the warranty anyway, if it wasn't put there by a Seat mechanic, but how would you prove that anyway?. Might be able to claim for the turbo and manifold though if the warranty is still in force.

Unfortunately, although just under 3 years old, the warrenty is void because the service history is incomplete.

Luckily the screw has not caused any damage to the valves so the head is almost together after a strip down & re-build with new stem seals.

The Turbo is the main concern, I have a good knowledge of normaly aspirated VW engines, but no real knowledge of turbos.

A friend who is a mechanic and has experience with turbo engines, particularly Rover ones thinks the cracks will be harmless and are common.

I think some phone calls to people such as Turbo Technics will be needed.

i have a spare ko3 turbo which came out of a new mk4 the 180 20vt, if hes looking for one this size pm me.

thanks

The head is re-assembled after a strip down to check valves and seats, everything perfect!

The manifold is at a precision welders, who think there is a reasonable chance of welding the crack up, fingers crossed.

If that works and the turbo is in good condition other than the crack, then we will see if they can weld that too, the crack on the turbo is on the flange which joins the manifold.