peterdinosaur

Clutch issue, Slave Cylinder?

Hey all,

I have found a puddle of some fluids under my corrado today, and the brake fluid low warning light has come on. There is a puddle of fluid underneath the linkage to the gearbox (in picture) and I was going to change the slave cylinder and bleed the system. I was just checking that that is the right thing to do, and that there isn't another problem.

Peter

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52881[/ATTACH]

Can you see any weeping from the actual slave cylinder? May be worth topping up, and giving that general area a jolly good clean. My rocker is weaping a fair amount of oil from the half moon on the gearbox side, and the oil collects in those spots after a while. Just be sure its hydraulic fluid thats there before forking out for a new slave cylinder mate. :o

Thanks for the quick reply, I did top up the fluid earlier today, and it made the brakes feel a bit better (was below min in the reservoir :S), but the clutch still feels very spongy, and has a low bite point. I just went and had a quick look round that area, and tbh couldn't tell if anything was coming off the cylinder as it was all so mucky. There was defiantly some possible fluid behind it though. The main reason for the suggestion of the slave cylinder is because of the spongy pedal.

if the clutch hydraulics are leaking and the car is in gear the clutch will begin to engage. this could be a way of testing

What does it look like? Hydraulic fluid is a pinky colour (if in reasonable condition obviously), but u knew that having just topped it up! Does it look like hydraulic oil or engine oil? Sorry for sounding patronising! :bonk:

Tbh it is black and full of grit, same for stuff on the road. Not particularly helpful sorry. Don't worry about sounding patronising, I didn't have any idea that hydraulic fluid was pinky in colour (even after putting some in :()

If the slave cylinder blows it leaks internally in the bell housing of the gearbox,since the cylinder uses the brake resevoir fluid it sounds like seal is gone.check under the car where the bottom of bell housing is,it'll give you a better indication.unless the rubber hose is perished or union is leaking oil shouldn't appear there unless its from rocker cover.

undo the two 13mm bolts and whack that slave out, if it has gone into the bell housing then your clutch could be shot too :(

check it's not just the flexi-hose though, sometimes it's just that that goes

Oh and brake fluid isn't usually pink, it's just regular yellowish, depends on brand a bit though.

Hey all, thought i would just finish this thread as i changed the slave cylinder this past weekend and all is working :D!! Thank you all for your help and advise.