guildmage

Strange noise from engine?

My car seems to make a strange noise. Trick is, it's mainly after you drive it for a while.

If I start the engine in the morning all seems fine. Yet, 20mins later, after I arrive at work you can definitively hear it. It's repeating, "brush-like-sound" - noticeable only when stationary.

Ah and it appears to be coming from drivers side of the car (right front-wheel)

Here from the inside of the car:

[video=youtube_share;oOobrqyVQjI]

... and from outside.

Tried to embedd another video, but got an error so instead I am, giving you link:

Any ideas what it is? And why is it happening after driving a while? Most importantly, how to fix it?

ps. Tried also taking video from engine bay, but it's better heard from outside (?)

Edited by guildmage

Cant watch the vid for some reason but if you can only hear it when iys stationery could it be the release bearing my old valver used to do it that sounded like a brushing kinda sound

Aux belt? Have you tried wiping some wd40 on the belt itself and seeing if it goes quiet for a while? If so then it could be that.

Have not tried WD40 yet.

Not long ago I had alternator belt and power steering belt replaced (is aux belt any of these?). but still, the noise did not go away, was the same as it's now :(

With the noise being stationary... I believe it is also when I'm driving, but you can't really hear it due to other car noises.

My aux belt needs doing and it sounds a little like your clip (I have a VR6 though). Yes the alternator belt is the aux belt. My aux belt was replaced a couple of years ago by the previous owner but has got noisy again. Apparently non OEM belts can get noisy again fairly quickly.

Yours may not be the aux belt as it has indeed been replaced and only makes it after a drive. But it's a simple test to rule it out... With engine off just wipe some wd40 on a cloth and then into the belt. If the noise goes away then it's likely to be the belt. In your case I suggest driving it until it makes the noise, then engine off, wd40 on a tag, start engine again and listen.

If nothing else it will rule it out.

Wouldnt a belt squeak as oppsed to a brushing type noise?

Lucas have you got under the bonnet whilst its running and trying to locate where its coming from. Id agree its something to do with the belts... maybe a pulley?

This is bugging me! Agree ,with above comments belts etc .It sounds to me like rotation , the revolution of the engine ,every time it does its cycle the noise is there .

This is bugging me! Agree ,with above comments belts etc .It sounds to me like rotation , the revolution of the engine ,every time it does its cycle the noise is there .

Yes thats what i think, thats why i said pulley. I dont think its the belts.

Lucas your best bet would be to have a listen under the bonnet.

Take the alternator and power steering belts out.... Start the car... If its still there then let us know...

If the sound stops then: alternator bearings, roller bearing or ps pump.

Ps: when was your timming belt done?

Yes thats what i think, thats why i said pulley. I dont think its the belts.

Lucas your best bet would be to have a listen under the bonnet.

Good call on the alternator bearing.

Could it be the bearing in the belt tensioner?

mine made a noise that came and went, it went for good so never done anything about it :lol:

Take the alternator and power steering belts out.... Start the car... If its still there then let us know... If the sound stops then: alternator bearings, roller bearing or ps pump.

Ps: when was your timming belt done?

Will propably try removing belts and see if the noise will stop (assuming the weather will allow for that over the weekend).

Regarding the timing belt - I am not a 100% sure. I own the car for past few months only. Previous owner mentioned it has been done in the past. Service book shows that it has been done at 93k miles (22/05/2006) - car is 123k on the clock at the moment. But in service book it only says "Cambelt change", right underneath the service field (it's written using different pen, and looks like it just been added there). Not sure, maybe I am too suspicious. Truth is, previous owner had the car for past 10 years, so it is very likely timing belt was done - have no real reason not to believe in that, but how can I tell for sure?

I will be investigating source of this noise over this weekend. It is just my "to-do list" is ever growing. I will get there I hope, patience is a virtue :)

Thanks for help, I will report back as soon as I find out more.