deane1989

What air box mod ??

After fiting my headlight loom and removing the headlights it seems quite a bad place to have an air intake. Would removing the carbon cainster be the best way to go. Im looking for beter performance but i dont it to be stuipidly louded. just want to here a few opinions before i go cuting things up.

cheers

Matt

Delete the carbon canister, run a cold air feed through where it used to sit. K and n panel filter and desnorkle it is the most common way to fettle with it.

Makes a bit more noise but nothing daft, helps it breathe too.

As above, but you will gain a couple of bhp tops. I would only cut it up if you've got another good one spare. Also would only use a paper filter for a G60- give it the best filtration possible, just make sure it's changed regularly.

Just remove the snorkel if you want a little more noise. Corrados actually breathe very well as is (as David said above). The amount of good airflow from behind the headlight is surprisingly good!

Do you simply block off the lines going to the carbon cannister with bolts or something?

Mine is still fitted and I noticed straight away that it could be removed to provide a lovely cold air feed.

Airbox is already de-snorkled and has a K & N panel.

You don't have to remove it! Undo the bolts, lift it out, lie it on its side kinda underneath the pipe that connects the airbox to the throttle body. Perfect fit. I did this a few years ago on an old VR when I fitted a cold air intake. I cable tied it securely in place- can't remember how though!

None. You will gain some decibels, shorten the lifetime of your air filter and exactly no (zero) extra BHP. The only reason people mod airboxes is that it is free - unfortunately, when it comes to performance tuning there is no such thing as free horse power, and depending on the engine the costs oftern outweigh the benefits.

Edited by fendervg

as above, don't do it. as well as filtration reasosn i'd vouch you'll actually lose power in some if not all the power band, drilling the box and removing the resonator tube allows induction pulses to escape, which is why it sounds great, personally i'd rather have those pulses reflected back into the induction tract to aid in cylinder charging.

no doubt more relevant to n/a applications, but no point losing them in f/i either.

Just to add my tuppence, I would urge people not to destroy a good airbox as they're very rare s/hand now (as VR6 owners are discovering) and isn't available from VW anymore.

Drawing in air from behind the headlight does seem counter intuitive and an odd design at first, but rest assured, it works. If a standard VR6 airbox with standard paper filter is able to supply enough air for a 400hp VR6 turbo, then I can see absolutely no reason what so ever to undo VW's good work :D

If you want more noise, stick a cheap cone on and tuck the factory box away somewhere safe!

In fact if you stick a cheap cone filter on you'll lose power as they normally have nothing stopping them from sucking in hot engine bay air! Go for a performance filter or a replacement airbox (eg CDA) if you want more noise from the loud pedal ;)