craigowl

Fender guitar amp fans - advice

In Northern England auction is a 1962 Fender Tremolux Blonde (piggyback) guitar amp.

I have seen it and clean looking valves all in place. Item does look a bit scruffy, but it is a 50-year old classic.

Rules are that everything is sold as seen. Does that apply to electrical things like this?

The difference in price between badly-blown unit and working could be £hundreds - even more?

What would you pay for one assuming worst - ie it is u/s.

Has it been tested?

Provided it makes a noise you'll be fine (sort of). Change the valves, clean / replace dirty pots if necessary, check for any dry joints and resolder, reupholster trim etc if necessary. Fairly straight forward stuff really, there isn't alot actually going on in older amplifiers, provided it's in reasonable shape you should be fine.

I done the same with my Marshal Silver Jubilee 2555 100W Head - I saw it advertised years ago and i badly needed something for stage work (Thrash, Hard-Rock, Punk, alot of lead guitar work to clean sections - that sorta stuff). I knew what sound I wanted but no other head came close. Well, except for the Dual Rectifier Mesa's but they were £1300 for the head alone at the time! I paid a fair amount for the Jubilee 2555 but boy was it worth it. It's a LOW serial, great condition black trim version with polished mirror plating too which I love, was never too keen on the early light grey versions...

Never played a 1962 Fender Trem, but you can't beat that all valve sound with a decent guitar... I can certainly see the appeal. Reakon you'll need to cough up a couple of grand at least though, from what I know of them they're pretty rare!

Edited by tentonhammer

My hunch about this rare item was right - watched it go for £950.

Went to local guitarist who said he did not know if it worked either - but still glad to get it.

I was only prepared to bid £400 max.

Even when you think you are the only person looking at such a rare item, others are after it, too.

Someone even bidding by phone on this.

Don't know about the classic ones - I have a Junior Pro valve amp that I use with my strat.

I play in a punk band and for most of the time used a 100w Marshall JCM 2000. Great amps.

I did have a Marshall power block linked to a Mesa V-twin Pre-amp which was absolutely amazing but It was just far too heavy to carry everywhere.

Take a look at Krank amps too, great for Thrash/punk if that's what you're playing

Perhaps we should get a thread going to see how many of us are musicians, and what music and instrument we all play, could be quite fun!!! I am a bass player in a professional pop/rock band playing most weekends, but mostly listen to metal! Alter Bridge being one of my faves at the moment. Cheers Vince.

Thrash punk? Man - I am 66 - it took me ten years to get used to Johnny Rotten! lol!

I had this strange vision of you lying on your back doing the dying fly thing. Quite disturbing really.

I have been mellowing, Wullie.

My last purchases were DVDs of The Transatlantic Sessions.

I met Aly Bain at Queen St station several years ago in a taxi queue. I told him how great that (then) new series was. "Write and tell them" he said. I didnt, but the idea has taken off big style and is in series 6 next iirc.

Alison Kraus, Julie Fowlis and Karen Mathieson backed by supreme musicians/pickers from Scotland Ireland US Canada, etc. Bliss when you need it.

Ah, the Transatlantic Sessions. Got an invite to the recording of series 3 I think it was, at Strathgarry House up Killiekrankie way. Absolutely fantastic day, and night, and more my style than all this techno synthesiser stuff. This weekend I'm doing the Weaving Musical Threads events where I've been listed as a Troubador!!! Over Saturday and Sunday I'm singing folk songs, reading my own poetry, reading Tannahill poetry and being MC at another couple of poetry events. Not an amp in sight.

Never thought I'd become a professional poet, can't be many of them on the forum

Well I play acoustic and electric guitar and sing - used to busk for about 4 years when I was young 'un, and was in several bands. Now just do sessions and play for pleasure. Once in a while a whole lot of us get together to perform at a wedding, burthday party or anniversary for our firends.

Well I play acoustic and electric guitar and sing - used to busk for about 4 years when I was young 'un, and was in several bands. Now just do sessions and play for pleasure. Once in a while a whole lot of us get together to perform at a wedding, burthday party or anniversary for our firends.

You are so lucky - I wanted to do things like that but ran out of opportunities and commitment, due to pattern my life took.

I am 66 and have a bought-new Schecter Strat and Boogie Mesa Studio amp still waiting to be used again "when I get more time". doh!

At 14, I should've plucked up courage 1959-ish and gone to speak to those boys playing skiffle (tea-box/broom handle bass) on our tenement's back green. lol!

I didnt even get a record player until I started work at 19 in 1964 - fat chance of getting a guitar before then from my mother.

Got my first guitar when I was about 12 and learned three chords then got fed up. Resumed when I found out it was cool and joined the usual little groups that played at church socials etc. one of which was formed by a certain Gerry Rafferty. We used to practice in my bedroom. Got seriously into folk music and played semi professionally for years then dropped away from it, only doing the odd gig here and there. It's only in the past couple of years or so I've started playing in public more, still mainly traditional folk music. Currently play a Sheridan classical which is kind to my old fingers. I do have an urge to get myself an autoharp again, loved the sound and flexibility of it.