Lee Rees

Which engine for fuel effeciency?

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a Corrado and was wondering if you could help.

Which engine is the most economical on fuel. I will be making long distance motorway journeys but would also like it to be fuel effecient for small runs to the next village. I live in Cornwall so I'll be making lots of runs.

I know corrado's aren't the most fuel effecient cars but still I'm more interested in economy than performance.

Has to be 8V I reckon

Or put a Fiat 500 engine in. One of them 0.9 litre twin air things. VERY efficient :D

Just don't take it to Fiat for a Service - bit expensive - heh Jim ?? !!

Too right Wendy.. rip off merchants! They didn't even wash it for the money either!

2.0 8v - without question!

Is this more economical than the 3 different 1.8v engines?

I'd really love to get 35mpg on long distance journeys.

Is this more economical than the 3 different 1.8v engines?

I'd really love to get 35mpg on long distance journeys.

they'll all do 35mpg on a good run, but none are good for running around,

it doesn't sound like you want/need a Corrado at all :scratch:

I want the car mainly for looks if I'm honest, the moment I saw my first corrado I fell in love. But, I do make a lot of long journeys so I am definitely seeking a corrado with the highest fuel economy, more so on long journeys.

My current car is a 3.0 mercedes 500 sel, so I'm not stingy on fuel, just hoping to get something a little more economical.

Buy a Corrado and fit a diesel. There are a few conversions on here and if you have the time and space then I get the impression they are worthwhile!

Sent from my HTC Desire

I thought the 8v's did into the 40's? A VR will do mid 35MPG easily so wouldn't quite see the point of the 8v if they were no better?! :)

I thought the 8v's did into the 40's? A VR will do mid 35MPG easily so wouldn't quite see the point of the 8v if they were no better?! :)

I was beginning to think this was a troll :)

yeah, bit too short a reply, what I meant was all the corrados will do 35mpg+ on a long steady run, some engines a bit better than others, but none of them are very economincal if just run from cold a few miles around town.

Best case has to be the 8v, the MFA on mine seems fairly accurate compared to filling the tank and calculating the mpg manually,

so from my experience if you start the car from cold (outside temp 5-10 degrees say) and do a 20 mile drive, 2/3 cruising at 60-70 the rest with a bit of stop start, then you should get 40mpg or pretty close, compares to about 36/37 on my 16v.

Steady 60mph on the flat in the dry and the 8v will do closer to 50mpg even a bit more if you are very light-footed.

Town driving from cold, lots of stop start, anything from 25-30mpg as long as that is not all in the first 10 minutes from cold.

Or another comparison, a similar week of mixed driving on a tank of fuel and my 16v does about 34mpg, 8v 36mpg and my 1.6 16v mk4 golf about 38mpg.

Oh, and there's no such thing as a 1.8 8v Corrado, only the 1.8 16v, and the 2.0 8v is more economical than that.

Edited by davidwort

Much of muchness if you ask me - If your stuck in traffic and you're start stopping all the time, you're burning more fuel as opposed to cruising along an open road. If your're that concerned about fuel efficiency, then drive fuel efficiently.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look out for a 2.0 8v corrado.

By the way I don't mean to sound like a troll but the info I got was from wikipedia:

1.8 L I4 115 hp

1.8 L I4 16-valve 123 or 139 hp

1.8 L I4 Supercharged 158 hp

2.0 L I4 16-valve 134 hp

2.8 L VR6 178 hp

2.9 L VR6 192 hp

I'm going to choose to ignore wikipedia it seems like this forum has more knowledge on the car

---------- Post added at 2:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:51 PM ----------

please ignore last post, it was meant for another thread and the delete function doesn't work.

I think you should have said "can do 35mpg" Jim. You have to really baby a VR6 to get that sort of overall mpg. I'm afraid seeing mid 30s on the MFA at 70mph or less doesn't count. All of VW's 6 cyl engines return a terrible mpg over short journeys and in traffic.

I'm kind of annoyed at myself for not bothering to do the maths and work out the economy I got on my drive to Germany this year. I topped up in Woodbridge the night before we set off, and then drove to Germany and did a bit more pootling around and when I came to fill up I realised how many miles I'd done and how little fuel I'd actually used.. I think Reidy and I did a quick fag packet calculation in the car and it came out to something in the mid 30's easily.

Anyway - Lee, the engines are:

1.8 16v

1.8 8v G60 (Supercharged)

2.0 16v

2.0 8v

2.9 VR6

:)

Speaking from personal experiences:

VR6:

Urban (based on 20 minute drive from cold) 23/27 mpg

Motorway (based on a 45 minute journey at 60 mph) 35/40 mpg

8v

Urban as above - 28/32

Motorway as above - 42/47

That's just my cars, but there's many other factors to consider when evaluating potential mpg.

Out of interest, have you driven any of the models ?

i sould be getting my first corrado this w.e from cardiff (would have got it last sunday but they forgot to change thier private reg over) and the only thing i was worried about is the fuel consumption, being young having a lower paid job (for the moment) i didnt want all my spare money to go on fuel, but from reading about all the different models and how they handle thier fuel, there isnt really a great deal of difference for urban driving, that said with any car it all comes down to how the car is driven. simple as.

i recently sold my mk4 golf gttdi 115. only got around 28mpg ubran. on the moterway, upto 55mpg at times!

I could be missing a very important point here. If you are after economy = hence you want to save money on fuel. It makes little sense to get a Corrado in first place. It is not really the cost of fuel that will most likely affect your wallet, it will be costs of repairs and keeping it running on daily basis.

I wish fuel costs would be my only concern heh ^^

Was thinking same thing as above.

When you take it for a service I expect the last thing on your mind will be the amount of fuel you used to get there!

It certainly stopped me thinking about it after my first service.

Edited by GusPW

Speaking from personal experiences:

VR6:

Urban (based on 20 minute drive from cold) 23/27 mpg

Motorway (based on a 45 minute journey at 60 mph) 35/40 mpg

40mpg is really only achievable downhill and without use of the throttle! :)

In my experience driving on a Motorway at a more typical 80-85mph pushes these numbers down to 29 to 31 mpg.

And also worth bearing in mind that a fifteen minute journey in the middle of winter through a town centre with lots of stop-start and you'll be lucky to break double figures. I've seen 12 -15 mpg after journeys like that. 17 - 20 in summer if you don't have to start the car while very cold.

The VR is capable of modest economy, but it's also capable of raping your wallet for no good reason. Reality will be somewhere in between those two states ..

yeah gotta agree with the above statement whivh i thought was very well put.

At the end of the day no one should buy a corrado because of it's economy as once you have actually driven it for a while you will rather prefer the experience of it rather than how little it drinks.

MY 8v is quite economical but because i like to drive it to enjoy it it will not normally see the figures quoted here, although it will do it if i drive like my dad lol!

and i know a good motorway run will give me 40 plus so i'm happy with that.

running/service/repair costs are where to look here and i think on that one the 8v wins hands down. :)

40mpg is really only achievable downhill and without use of the throttle! :)

In my experience driving on a Motorway at a more typical 80-85mph pushes these numbers down to 29 to 31 mpg.

Absolutely spot on. All of my VR6s and now R32 returns 27 ish overall mpg because I don't ponce around at 60mph :D I'd rather burn a bit more fuel and have some fun!

The only time I ever got a VR6 into the 30s was on a long road trip to the Lake District and it was driven VERY sedately. It did 500 miles to a tank. Driven 'normally', 350 miles per tank.