Sign in to follow this  
mk2vr6

***poor vr..please please help im stuck ??!!***

OK folks i need your help on this....

Battery was flat and has been playing up for a while so i replaced it.

put new one on and left disconnected for about 15 mins...

THEN AFTER GOING FOR A SPIN FOR 10 MINS IT STARTED TO RUN VERY SH*!E.

NOT RUNNING ON ALL CYLINDERS...???

i have changed the plugs and checked the leads with a meter-all seemed ok..

still poo??

what hell can this be..coil pack...some kind of sensor???..i really dont know..

sometimes it seems to clear but most of the say 85% it really struggles...

help...thanks very much folks..

you might need to do an ecu reset,theres an how to guide on the forum somewhere,thats if your using the standard vr6 ecu

The ECU has probably already been reset, if it's been left off for 15 minutes. Ok, the ECU won't have adapted to the car yet, but it shouldn't run anything like as badly as it sounds..

The bad news is that if you've got it running *that* rough, and the leads and plugs are ok, chances are it's the coil pack..

Or something more serious. You'll need to start by getting it onto VAGCOM for an error code scan, see if there could be any sensors that aren't working right (could be the O2 sensor if it's fine when cold), but that's a good starting point.

(I'm assuming that by this point you've checked and have not got any obvious signs of problems - i.e. too high temps (or too low), smoke out the back, water/oil pissing out everywhere..)

its in a mk2 golf...there is a funny looking connector under the glove box..think thats it..

no water or oil leaking...

car had been running fine too...it does sit around alot sometimes a week at a time as i have a company motor....

what about this temp sensor thing...??!!

cheers

ok..well just checked the blue temp sensor and its not that...

i have reseated various conectors and still no joy..i will try the mist of water on the coil pack...tonight..!

not tried the coilpack yet(mist of water....) but trying to get some prices....

main stealer £225 +vat

euro carparts £117 + vat...beru ??!!

i know folks say the beru can be problimatice but i hardly use my motor say 4000 miles a year...

what do yous think...any other places i can try....

thanks again...

Have had mixed reports on the Beru packs. But some investiagtion from our American friends has highlighted that the main 'guts' of these coilpacks - regardless of brand - is by Telefunken, which have supplied german brands with ignition products for donkeys years.

At the end of the day, G&SF will be more than happy to swap the Beru for another one if it breaks within it's year's warranty.

When you do the water spray, make sure you rev the engine whilst you're doing it as they sometimes only mis under load, which is hard to replicate on a free spinning motor.

K

I wouldn't just guess, could get expensive . It could be a number of things. My car had all the symptoms of coilpack failure but it turned out to be the maf so you really need vag-com to give a definitive answer.

I wouldn't just guess, could get expensive . It could be a number of things. My car had all the symptoms of coilpack failure but it turned out to be the maf so you really need vag-com to give a definitive answer.

What sort of things were you getting as I'm struggling to diagnose some things on mine at the moment?

And it's worth noting VAG-COM only reports MAF problems under specific conditions, i.e when it's shorted or not receiving a signal. It won't tell you if it's operating out of range, which MAFs commonly do and can only be diagnosed on an oscilliscope.....and even then with inconclusive results.

This is not a fault with VAG-COM, but rather the ECU's list of stored codes and it's checking criteria.

K

right= i have sprayed water around the coilpack and saw nothing...

however it is now spluttering even more i think,,could that be an indication??

spoke to a local garage who are supposed to be quite good-they said they could test it but i never got a price....

is it worth buying one ????

cheers...again...

I had a similar sounding problem the day after I brought my VR6, after a few garages looking at it with no luck. One of my mates put me onto a totally amazing bloke who just dose vw and bmw work result !. I turned up at his garage and he took one little listen to it and told me it was 1 / 2 burnt / slightly bent valves I was gutted!. So I he took it all apart and proved it to me and re done the head etc now it’s a dream again.

Right...IT WAS THE COIL PACK!!!!!

thank god for that i was beginning to worry.....

£133 but at least it is sorted, took the old one off and it looked pretty rusty on the inside,old looking-it was a Beru that was

on it- but im affraid i had to put a Beru back on!! lets see how long it lasts...

!!

Good luck mate as i know how much this problem pisses you off when you put your foot down..... At least it was cheeper than ming to fix, i was blowing flames out the back of mine when the vaves went down plus i was chucking 25% of my fule out onto the road luck to be alive i guess lol...