_Meth

Early power steering pump help please :)

Morning all,

Need a bit of help trying to sort out my power steering pump on my baby valver.

Its a 1989 "G" plate, which means it has the horrible pulley setup with the slipper / idler pulley on the water pump. I believe this means I also run a different type of PAS pump to later engines which have the new setup.

I dont realy want to go down the route of fitting new pulleys and a different water pump etc if I can help it - but I just need a hand getting a PAS pump that isnt knackered and making a horrible grinding / rattling noise all the time.

I seem to be having a lot of difficulty sourcing one second hand that fits my belt setup and getting very confused as to what I can and cant use to just bolt on in place of my current one... I have no problems changing the pulleys and belts if needed - but would prefer to avoid if possible...

Are there pumps on any other cars that are the same? Like MK2 golfs? that might be easier to source? Any idea what length shaft my one is? So I can check against some other corrado ones that are around the forum?

Cheers in advance!

yes, you need a mk2 golf style pump with the shorter pump body to pulley offset, the 2L 16v ones (and late 1.8 16v) have the deleted idler pulley and longer pump driveshaft.

VW call it hub spacing.

any idea what the offset is? and which MK2' golfs have this style?

Thankyou soo much David for helping with this! :)