davidwort

steering column bearings/lock/switch replacement grief

well, that was a waste of a day, took the steering column out (fixed position type) to replace bottom bearing and steering lock mech as it wasn't working/engaging, it's now an MOT item I think.

Bottom bearing was probably fine before, top bearing on new (cheapo pattern) steering lock has more play in the bearing than the original one I took (actually smashed) off and it turns out the lock barrel is the problem with the steering lock not engaging, it's tired and the tumblers stick so it doesn't pop back completely when you remove the key - which is needed to trigger the steering lock, if I get a new barrel I'll have four different keys for the car!

Oh well, at least it's back together and driveable, removing the steering wheel spline adapter was a right royal PITA too, got so hacked off with slipping bearing pullers I ended up heating it and whacking the top of the column down with the collar sat in the top of a vice, that shifted it...

Edited by davidwort