boost monkey

Ex- Frazero Racing Parts - 5-stud VR6 custom Alu billet hubs/uprights *not cheap*

So it seems like I have come into some lovely CAD data for the above! Here are the details.

For those of you who follow VW Racing / VW Cup, there used to be a company called Frazero which used to run a number of VWs (Golf 2/3/4, Vento etc) and in specific the Mk4 Golf shown below:

211.30%20wharton1x.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

As you can see it has some pretty trick hubbery going on - different bracket attachments on the side for caliper swapping and also below for a kind of LBJ extension replacement.

Here's the CAD:

hub2s.jpg

hub1v.jpg

We are looking into putting feelers out for a lot of the Frazero parts both here and on ClubGTi primarily as the cars are well known over there. If anyone wants to let me know what they are looking for, I will do my best to help.

This is also a great turn up for the books for those of you like KevFishWire who were thinking about getting the VR hubs remade - they're already here! :salute:

Any thoughts more than welcome,

Jon.

You're breaking racing cars for parts?

Im interested too, not sure what in though lol.

You're breaking racing cars for parts?

Im interested too, not sure what in though lol.

No buddy, remaking the parts from the CAD - car is still going AFAIK!

---------- Post added at 9:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:20 AM ----------

Subject to price, I'm certainly interested.

How "not cheap" is "not cheap"?

Well the CAD is done, so it would be machining cost plus cost of material. The originals were made from 7075-T6 which is aircraft grade ally and it'll be a solid block.

I'm hoping to get material prices today, and then will update you all. Cheers for the interest! :salute:

Well, it looks like the material alone will be ~£300 PER SIDE, so we're looking at upwards of £600 a pair and that is just for the main bearing housing /body, and the centre spindle that the disc attaches to. Other brackets for LBJ, Steering and Caliper shouldn't add to the cost massively.

But yeah.... glad I put it in the title!

6082-T6

Jay

Cheers buddy! I'l get some prices on this stuff in the morning. Materials aren't my forte!

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Out of interest, how many would you need to produce to make this a viable GB option?

Well, the cad/development work is already done - the only costs should be the material cost and then the machinist's time on the 3 or 5-axis machines we have at work. I have no idea how long these would need to run, I'm guessing a number of hours so perhaps could leave them running overnight.

SO the good news is there is no tooling costs etc which need to be covered by a min GB - I'll have to check with my boss to see whether he'd be happy to just run off 5 pairs or something. I'll check tomorrow and let you know by lunchtime all being well.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Didn't Frazero used to be in Brackley ?

Yeah that's right. Frazero turned into Luzzo Bespoke 2 years ago and they're still in 1 of their old 2 buildings in Brackley. I'm the new cadmonkey there :D

Obviously I realise the PCD is the same as a MK4, but are the caliper mounting points the same as on a Corrado - or would you need custom carriers?

Mark

Completely custom mark. That's what the recesses are for on the left and right of the hubs. It is to mount 4/6 pot calipers and such like (opposite side obviously for steering rod pickup)

PCD from the model is 5x100. Is that same as Corrado? It's a very easy thing to change if not!

I'll try to find the 3 custom brackets that attach to left, right and bottom sections of the upright so you can see the complete item.

EDIT: with the brackets it wouldn't be too hard to make some different sizes (especially for LBJ pickup) then you could have a standard length one which would work for those of you just wanting the simplicity of having a hub that can take bolt-on big brakes, and for those of you running extra low you culd space the LBJ pickup downwards to correct the geometry further. I like it :D

Edited by boost monkey

Looks nice but what difference does it makes and what benefits does it gives to derivation ??

It's an answer to some of the CF members wanting to redesign the original hubs to allow for easy fitment of big aftermarket brake kits for example. Also allows LBJ height adjustment for lowered cars to correct suspension geometry.

What do you mean by derivation?

What do you mean by derivation?

handling of the car, but you did answer this question when you mention geometry.

Ah ok. Well if your car is standard I don't really see how it will improve the suspension or handling apart from reducing the unsprung mass as it will be lighter than the original one I should think.

I have to do a bit more processing on the current model before I can get the mass properties out of it.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Just heard from Ken Lark (just happened to be in the office...) that these uprights run RS6 bearings in, so that's going to put the price up some more..!

He's given me a heads up on when the best parts were made so I'll have a hunt on the server and backup drives to see what I can find. Exciting!

Interesting...

Wouldn't want to skimp on material quality for the sake of only a couple of quid, since these are going to cost hefty money anyway. Presumably, the original material was specced for good reason.

Edited by Anton Sobriquet

Yeah, the company like to do things the best they can and I think 7075 machines really nicely!

With regards 6 series Alu, my boss seems to think that we might need to change the machining slightly as 7 series was specced initially. Unfortunately, I was too busy to check 6 series prices today.

Pricing for 6 series Ally is coming in at around £200 a side, so a saving of £100 there. Bear in mind this is a material only cost to give a ballpark figure for those of you wanting to know how much they will cost. With the 10+ hours machining per side, it will probably be nearer £1000 a pair but I will check on that.