P3rks

288mm MK4 brakes - a few questions

No,

MK3 and MK4 callipers and carriers are the same. The hoses and discs are different.

If I was using MK4 discs I'd need to offset them

I've just found this thread after trying to read up on what all I need to convert my VR to 288's.

My mates getting me MK4 calipers, carriers, hoses(thanks to this thread) discs and pads from the doner 20vt for his mk2 conversion (for £30 cannot complain) But this comment's thrown me. I thought everything would have just been the same but I'd need to space the carriers 6mm to use the discs yeah?

Also, I won't need new bolts or anything will I, between my VR brakes and the mk4 items i'll have all the bolts for the conversion?

Sorry for the bump.

From what i remember you need the mk3 discs as the mk4 ones have a different offset and wont go in the carriers.

You dont need any new bolts to fit the carriers to the hub i just reused mine which were a couple of years old anyway they are only a few quid from the dealers so wouldnt fret too much if you need to change them.

yeah, as stated by daleyboy; the Mk4 discs have a different offset to the MK3 discs.

So you can use either MK3 or MK4 Calipers and carriers, but you have to use the MK3 discs and pads.

If you use MK4 discs and pads you will need to offset the calipers to make up the difference. It would be stupid to go down this route imo..