24V Renshaw

URGENT HELP - Wanted the concave washers for the top of rear shocks

Having tried to fit my new Koni rear shocks as part of my "rebuild" I have come across a problem.

The two concave washers at the top of the shocks which sit in the rubber bushes don't fit the Konis, neither does the top plate washer.

basically the hole in the middle of them all is too small.

I am pretty sure from memory this is a change VW made on different age cars, but either way I need a full set of the ones with bigger holes in...

Can anyone help, ideally close to Manchester so I can come and pick them up tomorrow.

Also can anyone remember which cars have the bigger holes?

Cheers

Jay

Will have to drill them for now but there must be standard ones? Thinking about it, Is it something that comes with the aftermarket suspension kits?

I don't think there are different washers, the part no is the same (mk2 golf part originally) all the way through to the last of the mk3's, most likely a koni damper thing.

My koni rears (off car adjustable damping) have thinner shafts than OEM so I have to wrap the top part in duct tape so the bump stops don't slide around :roll:

They weren't changed in bore afaik, only thickness. The early washers used to collapse as they were too thin.

Clearly the Koni thread is thicker than other dampers. Having said that, I had Koni TAs and don't recall having to drill out the washers.

My rear Koni's TA's were the same with washers. Also had to drill out the bodywork hole as well. Hope you've checked that angle a well.

My rear Koni's TA's were the same with washers. Also had to drill out the bodywork hole as well. Hope you've checked that angle a well.

Which angle Chris?

Ah you mean the angle it's drilled at then? was thinking of the angle of the rear beam brackets or something.

I bloody hope going back to standard isn't going to be a problem because of what i think you're getting at! :(

I bloody hope going back to standard isn't going to be a problem because of what i think you're getting at! :(

perhaps he fitted the washers first then couldn't fit them up through the wheelarch :lol:

I'm intrigued by this now...

No i didn't drill anything, i am curious to know if drilling is done to fit koni's though lol! I watched AmD fit mine and didn't see a drill at anytime..

I am very confused. I can understand opening up the metal disc and the concave washers, but the body?!! What?

Anyway I guessing no one has specifically larger hole ones?

It seems most folk drill them out Jay, I know this was the case when Jude went back to standard from Koni, they had to fit smaller washers IE new ones as the old ones had been drilled out for the larger diameter stantions. :)

I am sure I have in my head from many moons ago that I had some bigger ones. Maybe these are supplied by Koni...

Oh well, drill out when I get home then :). I have a load of spares so should be fine.

Jay

Mine, had to be widen out to take the shock shafts. Nothing dramatic, extra 2mm on the diameter. It was back in August 1998. So maybe early ones were an oversize diameter and Koni have since modified the rear struts to fit better.

And yes, the extra's included the Koni washer fittings

Edited by RW1

Not a hard job. I was just surprised as Koni's usually fit straight on. Talked to them at the time about it, so maybe they took note.

Had no problems for 14 years. The only nag is the rear side speaker shelves have to come out to make adjustments. So they've never been touched since determining the settings initially. Speaks well of Koni's (As on my other cars since 1980.)