Dan_Storm

Ball Joint Fitting - VR6

Does anyone have any tips on how to fit a new ball joint? I've got the ball joint in the hub side and managed to push the control arm down to get the flat section into the slot on the control arm. So, everything is in place, but the bolt holes on the flat section are too far out.

I need to push the hub in or bring the control arm out to get the holes lined up....which is where I am stuck.

I've had loads of issues along the way, so my brain and body have had enough for today. I'm hoping when i take a fresh look tomorrow things will pop into place :) but just wanted to check I'm not missing anything?

You might need to use a punch and hammer on the flat surface of the balljoint... And the use a screw driver to align the holes... That should do it

Still no joy :( I always regret starting DIY jobs but never seem to learn my lesson!

I think I need a pair of spring compressors to take the tension out of the hub. It seems like the hub is being pushed outwards by the tension of the spring. I have tried pushing the hub inward to line up the holes, but can't get enough force on it to line up.

Has anyone else had this problem? I haven't seem any reference to it on here. I've seen ball joint how-to's for other cars and a couple of them mention using spring compressors.

Thanks for the tips. I think floppyman sussed it. A bit embarrassing but I only had one side of the car raised up. I came to the same conclusion by myself last night. Will crack on with it this weekend.

cheers!

Dan