lewvw

Wheel alignment trouble

Anybody had trouble explaining to the wheel alignment place that you are supposed to adjust the toe on just one side.

I thought they would know what I was talking about, but turns out not and I didn't know enough to correct them, so I have a few questions to arm

myself for my return :scratch:

Which side track rod is adjusted? Bentley says right but thats US only isn't it?

Bentley says you have to measure the left (or right depending on above) complete arm at 406mm from centre of track rod spindle to rack end of arm, how can I do that on the car? (isn't the rack boot in the way?)

So what then happens, do you just turn steering to bring that one into 0 degrees then adjust the other side until they're both at 0? Does anybody know why VW do it like this?

Also my camber is at -1.8 o/s and -0.8 n/s I think remember reading Kev saying that a lowered vr6 should be -1?

And finally...the camber adjustment tool has anybody made one? And will it locate on the body ok because my the top rim of my wheel will be higher up in the arch?

Cheers to anybody who hasn't got bored and wandered off and can help :thumbleft:

Lewis

All the info you need is buried somewhere in the forum, I've never known why vw state a fixed measure for one side and adjustment on the other, I guess that is for rack centre position, but I've always done both to keep the steering wheel straight when setting up toe.

Adjust on passenger side on RHD vehicles and don't move the drivers side. I rightly or wrongly measured the distance between the wheels until they equalled the same distance front and back. Steering wheel was slightly out so unbolted and moved it around. Would be better done via laser but for a cheap diy it worked well.

Camber if lowered should be around -1. I use a cheap but useful gunson camber tool - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gunson-77066-Trakrite-Magnetic-Camber-Castor-Gauge-Race-Rally-Garage-/280836337511?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4163266f67