robo22sri

Just got some money!

Heard good things about the weitecs hicon gt coilovers. But maybe best looking on the suspesion discussion thread. Or speak to Karl (KADVR) regarding what weitecs he has.

I know its too late now, but if I had £700 to spend on your C, it might sound incredibly boring and sensible, but I would be replacing all the bushes, ball joints, bearings, brakes etc.. like I have just done. From experience over the years, fitting any suspension, however good it is, is a waste of time if everything else is not absolutely spot on first.

I cannot stress enough to people how good these cars are when everything is tight solid and where it should be. Why do you think they are still so highly rated in performance driving circles.

If its just the look and the "impression" of better handling you are after then fair do's, but if you want to drive the car as its supposed to be driven, get all the bushes etc.. done first.

2p Kerplink :)

Jay

Jay, that is excellent advice and I fully endorse what you have said.

I replaced all the bushes, brakes, etc on mine about four years ago. It drives like a new car...smooth handling and arrow straight. It is pointless putting on flash wheels and fancy suspension kits unless the foundations of the car are right. Also, most suspension kits completely ruin the ride comfort and handling as they are too hard and or too low. I would go with the following; 30% uprated springs and dampers, lowered no more than 40mm front and rear.

There is a common misconception that coilovers or even certain dampers/springs "ruin" the ride quality of a C. But again this is often caused by everything else around them not working as it should and the feel of this is exagerated. Of course there are poorly combined dampers and springs which are just not suited to the car when fitted, but coilover springs are only £25 each or so from motorsport suppliers so people can easily change it if its too stiff for their liking and then use adjustable damping to match the springs.

Don't get me wrong, I love a lowered C as much as the next man, but there are ways of doing it which have only a very small compromise in ride and often this is actually an improvement as it provides more feedback let alone the lower CofG.

Without getting too technical, this does of course in turn affect the roll center and this is still the biggest problem with the VR6 at least as no-one has a solution for extending the lower ball joint yet.

The other point is personal preference and how you use the car. I use my car daily, but intend to do some track time and of course enjoy a good blast down a B-road, but if you want to just go quickly round the roundabouts on your local billiard smooth bypass then thats a different requirement all together..

Jay

I know its too late now, but if I had £700 to spend on your C, it might sound incredibly boring and sensible, but I would be replacing all the bushes, ball joints, bearings, brakes etc.. like I have just done. From experience over the years, fitting any suspension, however good it is, is a waste of time if everything else is not absolutely spot on first.

I cannot stress enough to people how good these cars are when everything is tight solid and where it should be. Why do you think they are still so highly rated in performance driving circles.

If its just the look and the "impression" of better handling you are after then fair do's, but if you want to drive the car as its supposed to be driven, get all the bushes etc.. done first.

2p Kerplink :)

Jay

That is on my list to do ;) was looking at buying powerflex kit at £280

My list is

Bushes all round

Coilovers

Exhaust (stainless)

Rust treatment :lol:

And fit my new engine :lol:

Personal preference again, but I would not go for powerflex in all locations. If you lower the car the rear bushes in the front wishbones start to dislocate over time. You want to use OEM golf R32 ones as a nice upgrade.

Also powerflex rear beam bushes although much easier to fit, do not have the clever dynamics of the OEM bushes.

Jay

been thinking about this mate, and personally i would leave buying some alloys that will need more money thrown at them, just buy some good suspension and do like Jay says and get the car handling right,

He's already bought wheels haha!

---------- Post added at 6:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:22 PM ----------

To be fair though I do agree with regards to the bushes etc. I have fk konigsports on mine and had them on my old VR too. The current car handles amazingly in comparison and almost feels as light footed as a valver. The difference between them being this car's polybushed where appropriate with a few OEM bushes thrown in to stop things getting too stiff.

Im not all that happy with the powerflex front arm rear bushes on mine tbh, theres too many bits it all feels a bit cobbled together, the oem or r32 bushes just locate nicely into the subframe. So i think i'll be going that route soon enough.

I have some brand new powerflex rear axle bushes though if youre interested?