KADVR6

finding TDC on a vr

yeh its easy when you have a standard crank pulley as you can align the notch on the pulley and the mark on the block, but i have a lightenend crank pulley with no notch in it??

so whats the best way of finding TDC for me.

bloody corrados lol

I'm not sure on this but I think there is a filed off looking tooth on the flywheel, if not just take a spark plug out of no.1, put your (clean) dipstick down the hole and turn it until its at its highest point.

yeh heard about the flywheel tooth thing also, but its also got a lightened flywheel and just not 100% safe trusting it was put on in the same position it was taken off!! but thanks about the spark plug thing.

I always use the plug hole indicator. IIRC it should be the back left cyl that is at TDC, whats it for?

gotta change my head, not happy about doing it but hey ho these things are sent to try us.

Probably teaching my granny to suck eggs, but bear in mind there are two TDC's. One on the exhaust stroke and one on the firing stroke.

Karl, the best way, if you want to be 100% certain, is to use a dial gauge. When the head is off, use the dial gauge to find TDC. Then mark your front pulley to make is easier in the future. That's how engine builders do it. If you're not sure how or what I mean, then give me a bell. (I do have a dial gauge, just need to find where I put it, unless someones borrowed it and not returned it !)

Top dead centre for the cams, as floppyman says, is by using the locking tool.