sexybourbon

vr oil temps

I know this has been asked before but but what temps does a standard vr usualy run at ? On the way to elescar yesterday at 80 is it got up to 108 , dropped the speed to about 70 an was sat at 104 flicking to 102 and 106 as an average ! Is this ok or is this running to hot ? If so would the best place to start with the thermostat ? Or blue temp switch "if thats the correct part name "

This has been asked before i know but im on my phone and the search is useless on it

Any help or advice apreciated as im driving to santa pod rather soon and dont want to do any damage

I'm having the same issue although mine tends to run even hotter! I had about 112 on the way to santa pod last year. Blue temp sender deals with the cold map, ie. acts as MAF before water temp gets to 80 degrees. The thermostat would only apply if your water temp was overheating or not getting hot for ages, they tend to go up or down together if its the thermostat.

I've been thinking about it and also chatting with Kev and reasons for it could be the heat exchanger (the part the oil filter bolts onto), radiator or even water pump. It depends if you want to go replacing parts or if you are happy to say... yea it doesn't overheat, its just a little hot

To me, those temps seem fine. On a hot day in traffic or spirited run ive had oil from 102 -112. Ive always thought this was normal. Usually when im not in traffic or having a spirited run - just normal driving, its still around 98

I've had oil temps of 124-130 before, to me thats when you start to worry! anywhere between 92-108 is fine running temp though in my opinion.

Since the coolant change and fitting a grill that has all the slats open (mine had the 1 slat open grill type before with less air flow)

when travelling between 60 to 70mph my temperature range is 102 - 106 degrees. It used to be a few degrees higher than this and it also cools a lot quicker when easing off the throttle now.

My R32 engine (with a 12V heat exchanger) doesn't seem to go over 98 deg. My 12V when it was standard used to sit at 114 at 80mph. That's not an issue for modern synthetic oils (and I would switch to Silkolene 10W/50 if seeing those temps regularly) but cheaper mineral and part synthetic oils won't like that for long, which will require more frequent oil changes.

When I fitted the Mocal to my 12V, the cruising temp dropped from 114 to 96-98 immediately. With all new coolant parts, such as radiator, main pump, HE etc, it fell even further.

Heers guys i have had a bit of a read in the oils sticky thread earlier so im gonna change to a better oil , im using silver synta at the mo from the dealers 10w 40

I didnt see any higher than 108 yesterday but didnt know if it was getting to hot and i did a little panic at one point and drove a sixty for 10 mins while it cooled down lol

You don't need to panic and slow down if you see 108 oil temp :D That's not much hotter than a cup of tea mate. When it gets up into the 130s, then you can ease of the pedal for a while.

Heers guys i have had a bit of a read in the oils sticky thread earlier so im gonna change to a better oil , im using silver synta at the mo from the dealers 10w 40

I didnt see any higher than 108 yesterday but didnt know if it was getting to hot and i did a little panic at one point and drove a sixty for 10 mins while it cooled down lol

I know what you mean :) I set my display to show oil temp all the time so I know where Iam at.

If your coolant circuit isn't 100% then it'll push the oil temps up because the oil cooler won't work as well. I'm 90% sure my yellow sender being broken is the cause of my radiator fans not running and if I get stuck in traffic the coolant temp gets alarmingly high, followed by the oil a short while later. I've got up to 132 being stuck behind a bus for a few miles before :shaking:

On the bright side it drops again if you cane it for a bit ;)

Stone