Tigerfish

Coilover top nut

I'm removing the coilovers on my VR6 and putting the bilstein struts and springs back on (they came as spares with the car). Anyway, I set to work on the bottom bolts that connect the strut to the hub. Passenger side ones undid no probs, bottom drivers side one sheared off... typical! :( Quick trip to VW and a new nut and bolt due in tomorrow.

So, once they were all cracked free, I thought I would try the strut tower top nut. It is recessed into the cup quite a long way. Not a big deal I thought, 21mm socket on the top. Try undoing it, the hole top mount and strut piston just rotates. There is an alan key hole in the top of the piston rod, which is ok but how the heck do I get a spanner on the nut with it recessed so far in, so that I can get an allan key on the piston top? My old spanner set has a deep crank in it which is ideal, but nowt the size of 21mm. Quick trip to halfords, Nothing, closest they have would be touch and go with the recess, but only do 17, 19, 22 and 24mm. Grrrr..... what are you guys using to get these effing lock nuts off the top?

i use an impact gun, makes things lots easier. but failing that a spark plug spanner is 21mm and has a top you can fit a spanner on cleverly allowing you to place your 7mm alan key down the middle and hey presto coilovers come undone, hope this helps.

i use some cheap drop ring spanners i found online, bought the whole set and only ever use the one that fits my suspension, might of been ebay specials.

Or i'm sure i've seen some fancy socket with a slot in it, made for this type of job

Ah, never thought about a plug socket, I'll give that a go :)

Yeah, they are the type of the old spanners I have, no 21mm one though. I'll grab a set off ebay for later use, but wanted to get the job done tomorrow, so no use for the job in hand. The funny socket set you mention I've seen somewhere too, could of sworn it was Halfords, but bugger all there like it today. My misses will be pleased, another ebay parcel to miss and have to collect from the depot :dance:

I don't have a proper airgun/compressor setup. Although I do have an electric impact gun which i could give a go.

The top nut's on my original struts were 22mm, the coilovers came with 21mm nuts.

Just to update, the electric impact wrench did the job nice and easy :)

Also realised this morning that my O2 sensor socket fitted, the slot in the side of that would've done the trick also for an allan key to fit in through the side. Impact wrench was easier though.

Now just waiting for the dealer to call when the replacement for the snapped bolt comes in.

One the original suspension on the VR6 I used a plug spanner with a ring spanner on top to hold the nut, then a trimmed Allen Key socket plus adapter and breaker bar for the damper shaft. Worked a treat.

An impact gun with the correct size socket is a lot, lot less hassle though...