WillCful

Ditto (Also Thinking of Buying Corrado...)

Hi all!

I've owned a few golfs over last few years, currently on a mk4 2.0 8v, which I love despite the slowness ;-). I've always liked Corrados and fancy getting my teeth into a proper project (currently have space for two cars so the golf can stay as daily).

Basically if I buy one the objective is an engine swap probably to a an r32 or maybe something else. If anyone has any suggestions for other engine options please let me know!

I'm tempted to go for a vr6 but if I'm just going to swap then perhaps it would be better to save a few pennies and go for one of the 2.0 engines? Or perhaps I would be able to recoup my losses by selling said vr6 lump, any help and suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers, Will.

Welcome to the forum :D

I was waiting for someone much more knowledgable than myself on engine swaps to come along. But seeing as no-one has replied yet I will add my opinion. The view seems to be that you should swap for an engine with the same number of cylinders. So a 4 pot swap to a 1.8T, or a VR6 swap to an 24v or R32.

So if I were in your shoes and if I had the skills needed, then I'd be looking for a good VR6 shell but something with very high miles or a known engine issue.

People on here are generally very friendly and helpful and the conversion has been done a few times so I'm sure you can get some advice. It might be better to add something in the engine forum as it's likely to get a better response.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

So the VR6 shell is different from the others? I figured that all shells would be the same... I've never owned a rado so I don't know much about them, thanks for the advice I will put a post in the engine section!

Yeah a high mileage car would be the best bet. I intend to strip the whole thing down and pretty much do as close to a full restore as I can, I also intend to learn to weld on this project so rust (within reason) might not be such a huge issue either (but we'll see how that goes!).

---------- Post added at 9:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:05 PM ----------

Oh also I live in Congleton near the war memorial hospital and there is a grey rado down the road from me! I can't remember the reg but it had a the-corrado.net sticker in the window. Shout out if it's yours ;-) !

The shells are all the same... But if youre going the r32 route then the vr6 is better due to the subframe, brakes. Its a more straight foward job.

On a side note... Drove a audi a3 3.2 quattro today.... It really is a much better engine then our vr6s.

I've never driven a VR6 so can't really compare but my mate has just bought a TT 3.2 quattro and it's pretty sweet... Just needs a turbo now ;-)

You wont make much money back on selling the engine to be honest so dont bargin on that. Just get the best shell you can as everything else can be changed. The 3.2's are naturally going to be better as they learned from the VR6's mistakes i.e. poor head design and poor cooling.