emu

Classic Passat GT

Nice. My dad's best mate had one of those in exactly that colour. I considered buying it off him when I learned to drive but the insurance was too high.

Santana was the saloon version, there's the estate too which was the best looking of the three, the old GL5 which had the 5 cylinder engine.

They are very solid cars, mainly because they are more Audi than VW, Audi engine layout (longitudinal not transverse), Audi front suspension etc. Very similar to the old Audi 80 and Coupe shell that the Ur quattro used.

My dad had an estate version for years, very comfortable as it was heavy and had a long wheelbase.

Santana was the saloon version, there's the estate too which was the best looking of the three, the old GL5 which had the 5 cylinder engine.

They are very solid cars, mainly because they are more Audi than VW, Audi engine layout (longitudinal not transverse), Audi front suspension etc. Very similar to the old Audi 80 and Coupe shell that the Ur quattro used.

My dad had an estate version for years, very comfortable as it was heavy and had a long wheelbase.

Echo what David says...

...my love for Volkswagens stems from being driven around as a child in my parents Mk2 Passat Coupe GL5. 200k+ and some 17 years later, still on its original engine and running gear and only replacement ancillaries, we had to say goodbye due to the bodywork letting it down. Was an absolute work horse with plenty of poke and rumble to boot. Was used to tow various speed boats for years which included boat recovery from steep slip roads (4 up on the bonnet to keep the wheels from spinning) and shunting in and out of a garage that was only just wide enough (talking less than an inch either side) for many years.

Never let us down, Cornwall holiday run after Cornwall holiday run.

Just superb and worth its weight in gold by the end.

I've also had the pleasure of part owning a Santana GL5 as a bit of fun.

P160708_19.jpg

Despite being almost on it's last legs with comedy features like a slightly broken, retracting drivers seat, slipping clutch and suspension which made you feel like you were on one of those theme park simulators, it was a hell of a hoot, 5-pot rumble and addictive.

All in all, a very underated, classic motor.