petemcr

Failed lambda

Should I bother replacing my now broken lambda? My VR has had its cat removed, so I asked my mechanic if he'd do the job and he's saying it's pointless because of the cat, or lack off it

Any guru's on here got any words of wisdom on this?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

The lambda has no bearing on the car having a cat or not. Your mechanic is a plum. Replace it, the ecu needs it.

Right so

I'll get it done this week, hopefully I'll get some better MPG and less "running rich" smell

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Step 1: Find a new mechanic this one is a chimp.

Step 2: Fit a new lambda probe.

The reason is that when the engine has warmed up the lambda is the main controlling sensor, the only time it is overriden is when the throttle potentiometer is providing the ECU with a wide open throttle input, with no lambda your ECU dumps back to the previous set of adaptive values which will overtime reduce performance - the short term loss is in fuel economy!

Lambda probes control injector pulse duration when the ECU is looking at them, this is when the car is being driven at part throttle or idle settings and is refered to as 'closed loop' operation, when you go full throttle the ECU 'knows' it needs a lot more fuel and the lambda information is ignored - this is due to 'narrowband' lambda probes being used on Corrados and at extreme ends of the fuel mixture they cannot differentiate between too rich and too lean.