jasmine 16v

2.0l 16v oil consumtion

:wave:hello peeps i have an 2.0l 16v and i filled the oil up to the top of the mark on the stick done around 200 miles and its about half way down the mark now is this normal or is it using too much cos it seems like quite a lot to me

any feedback would be most appreciated

thanks

j:scratch::shrug:

VW state a litre every thousand miles max as a guide, there's only about 0.5-0.75L on the dipstick so I'd say it's OK, probably just worn valve guides and seals, as long as it passes the MOT on emissions it will be fine, not worth stripping the head down just yet :)

are you using 10/40 semi-synthetic?

Edited by davidwort

ok thanks

pre emissions so passed mot

not smokey or anything

yes i use 10/40 part synthetic only halfords own though

is it worth spending more money on oil ?

I wouldn't say so, it's a pretty old engine design, not very fine tolerances or anything and if you're burning some then a fully synthetic is going to get pretty expensive, just stick to what you have been using or similar. It probably puffs a little bit of blue smoke on the overrun, get someone to follow you, still nothing to worry about.

My old 8v burns a little oil, I've been using ASDA 10-40 semi synthetic, they had it on offer last week for £8 for four litres which is pretty good!