Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

How quick are Corrado G60s ??

Hi ive got a Mk2 golf 8v gti , and i am thinking of getting a Corrado G60 in the not to distant future, theres me thinking there gonna be quick but everyone seems to tell me that there no faster that my 8v at the moment! just how quick/slow are they?? i do really like the look of the rado, and i ve been in a few 16v versions, but dont know how the G60s Compare. Any help would be great.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum mike

I've had a g60 since last april and i didn't know how it should perform as standard and i became accustomed to the drive and performance, little did i know that it was running lean, however since ive taken it to G-Werks for an inspection and other little bits and pieces, its a totally different car on the standard chip and pulley to say i am impressed would be an understatement.

The newest of corrado g60s are still going to be 11 years old, and over the time wear and tear can occur and components can fail, as it runs an ECU. So i would go for a test drive in a well looked aftered g60s before making up your mind.

But on the negative side you do need to set aside some money for a charger rebuild if its not been already done and they do need a little money to get them back to tip top condition

It will be much quicker than the 8v. The 0-60 times on paper are not very useful as they show it as being not *that* quick, mostly due to gear box. The G60 has way more top end and a higher top speed.

However, say from 50-140 they they are much quicker and without doubt, handle a lot better to. The thing to remember is that for under 200 quid you can get a good 190 bhp from a small pulley and chip.

I went from 8v GTi mk2 (as did many people) and even as Standard the G60 is quicker for sure - by a fair bit - then once tuned a bit it will out pace and out handle a lot of cars on the road.

Ignore the numbers on paper for the G60 and bear in mind they have 160+bhp as standard and are easily made up to 200bhp for not much cash at all.

Don't worry about buying one and being disappointed with it compared to the 8v - you won't be. I reckon the people that are tellign you it will be slower will just be comparing the numbers on paper :)

cheers guys, thanks for the info, i think i wll stick to my guns and keep on the look out for a decent one, i ve got an alrite insurance quote so thats not a problem, just gotta try and find a nice example thats been well looked after. i woz going to go down the vr6 route but as i am only 20 insurance companys tend just to laugh. :lol:

I went from Raddo G60 to Mk3 VR to Mk2 8v. My brother bought the G60 of me and I had a shot of it about 6 months later and it felt so much quicker. I think my Mk2 is easier to drive in the corners but the Raddo is defientley better with the proper set up. The in gear acceleration is so much better than the 8v. I got 140mph indicated on my G60 where as the 8v struggles over 115mph. This was from a car that had not had a charger rebuild and was on 94k miles. Cable change gearbox is crap mind.

Hey,

I also used to own a Mk 2 golf Gti which had kent cams and a few more bits and bobs in it to make it quicker. I gave it to my mate when I got my standard 2.0l 16v corrado and (as one does) we went out on the roads to see the difference. It was/is neck and neck up until, like "munkay " says, 50 then the c pulls well clear. The G60 is quicker then the 2.0l 16v so brush your teeth and prepare to grin.............. :D alot....................... :mrgreen:

get one get one, i had indicated 153mph in a standard G60 after a new recon charger, got a 8v golf 110mph top's will be maiting them together for fun, the responce from the engine when at 80 is sweet just the rides so smooth and effortless you don't even realise you've passed 100mph.

I have had a mk2 16v (145brake) for the last 3.5 years and a mk2 8v before that. The 16v is faster then the 8v for sure but feck, the G60 I recentally bought just blows me away with its power. The one I got is chipped 68mm pully and stage 4 charger so Im looking at about 180 brake - dyno proven 181 back in 1994. 0-60 is poo cause you wont hit 60 in second gear no matter how hard you try but dont worry, you'll be on the other side of a 100mph before you know it. It has often cuaght me out only too look down and see the speedo pointing vertical....and stil pulling ctrong. I have seen 135 with more too go but its enough for me anyway. Its a hoot. Still mad for my 16v but the corrado is a differant beast alltogether.

I went from a mk3 VR6, which i still have, to the G60.

For "research" purposes i took the VR6 out of storage yesterday for a run!

You cant beat either car really!

But i love the power of the VR6 and the sound

The G60 is more edge of the seat, prob because all the suspension bushes need to be done!

They are very evenly matched

I got 145 out of the VR6 and 140 out of the G60, the G60 had more in it!

Out of my two the acceleration feels quicker in the MK3 VR6 :oops: