24V Renshaw

Whiff of petrol on VR6....

Getting a fairly strong whiff of fuel in the morning when I start the car to come to work and then when I start it to come home again.

Its a standard VR6 and the windows are closed and it seems to be running fine.

Been having a good look and can't find any obvious cause at the moment (fuel lines in engine bay seem dry, no puddles of fuel anywhere), so has anyone had this and found the cause?

Cheers

Jay

Everything ok with the carbon canister and associated pipe work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, fuel lines is the most common one. They go porous on the rail over time and generally stink when a lot of fuel is going through the motor, which = cold start and warm up. Most people trim 10mm off the ends of the hoses and rejoin them.

It's a common thing on my 5 series as well.

If not that, check the carbon canister return line and or associated pipe work.

Must admit I have not specifically checked it...

Jay

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

My first port of call was the ends of the fuel lines where they join the rail, but they are fine and bone dry. Will have a look at the carbon canister pipework now.....

Jay

They are always are bone dry when inspected. That doesn't mean they don't smell. As I say, the ends go porous and stink when the fuel pressure is high.

Just to add to this, I did notice that the rubber fuel lines which go from the plastic lines to the fuel rail differ on the late OBD2 VR6's.. Possibly an uprated material to avoid this?

Mine was from the filter at rear of car, the metal clamps around fuel line had rusted away.

Another thing my local garage failed to find out.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Got a smell of petrol myself, but its coming from the rear of the car... fuel tank area.

Did you check the lines with the car running? Mine did this recently and it would only weep when the car was running with the lines under pressure.

As above, had the same with a strong smell of fuel when starting up.

Ended up replacing one of the fuel lines to the rail, problem solved

Yeah car was running and under full pressure. Weird thing is I can't really smell it when I am out of the car, might try getting closer to the fuel pump / filter and having a sniff LOL.

Reckon it is more likely to be coming from the engine bay though...

id consider looking at this quickly,or youll end up with an engine fire like i had.lol

Previous owner had put an over sized washer on the fuel line (part connecting fuel line to engine) allowing fuel to discretely weep out between the incorrect washer and fuel line, cabin smelt of fuel for weeks! I love the smell of petrol but not in my motor eh. Bought the correct size washer (should fit like a glove) and it sorted the problem immediately.

You might want to check this - Just because you see a washer doesn't mean it's the correct size... as I found out!

---------- Post added at 8:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:16 AM ----------

id consider looking at this quickly,or youll end up with an engine fire like i had.lol
Wise words

I had a leak where it would **** out of the flexy pipes for 2 seconds as pressure built up then stop and dry before I could see or smell the culrpit. Petrol would run down the pipe channel under the car and drip. Needed someone to turn the car over from cold while I watched. Only did it from cold when there was no or low fuelrail pressure!

*Edit*...Like the auto swear bleeper! 50p in the jar?

Edited by buttles

Just had another sniff (ooo eerrr) and I am relatively convinced its coming from around the MAF area, so is more than likely a split/hole in the carbon canister pipework under the airbox as suggested earlier in this thread.

Will pull it apart over the weekend and have a look.

Jay

I've just fixed a leak between the blue Charcoal Solenoid Valve and the pipe going into the engine. The crimp clip was slightly slack. The join is underneath the MAF, slightly to the rear of it. Kept getting little whiffs of fuel fumes. Found a drip forming on the join.