teveO

alloy wheel polishing

hey guys.

as show season is on its way thought id change some stuff around on car.

i want to clean my wheels up as they are looking a bit dull.....

i am going to respray the centers but want to polish up the lips anyone know the best way to do it?

i have had a look on the net for ways and the 3m pads are looking the best at the moment...

cheers in advance! :cool:

Get em done professionally the first time round, then just keep on top of it would be my advice. There are various kits available all over the web including egay though if you really wanna put in the blood sweat and tears!

My VR is just having a re-spray and I want to get the wheels up to spec. The original Speedlines are a bit shot and scabby. Would I be best to get them shot blasted then polished? Like tevO I'm on a budget as I've blown my wad (asitwere) on the paint.

You could get them professionally shot blasted, then polish them up yourself which would save a fair few quid I suppose. :o

what wheels are they....? picture of them would help to see what they are like

Can be as cheap and as expensive as you like.

To do it yourself cheapest option would be that you'll just need sand paper, various grades, say from 360 up to 3000, then some metal polish. But expect about 5 hours minimum per wheel, depending on the condition and the wheel in question. To put things in perspective I polished some BBS centre nuts which were originally powdercoated, took me 4 hours per nut.

Then for about £30-60 you can buy kits off the Internet which attaches to a drill. Make sure it's a restoration kit which includes abrasive attachments. That'll cut the time down massively.

Then you can buy a bench grinder and polishing kit for around £100+. This is the best and most professional option.

Best bet is to post a photo of your wheels do we can assess the best course of action.