captainredeye

288 calipers catching wheel weights.

I have seen this mentioned before but no diffinitive anwser. I'm about to fit a refurbed set of 288 calipers and discs from a mk3 with 15 speedlines, have notice that the wheel weight are right next to the spokes of the wheels on the inside, question is will these be ok, could I get away with wheel spacers or need to have the wheels rebalance?

Mine were ok on my solitudes fella, but when new tyres were put on at kwick fit they put the weights on the inside of the rim but the side nearest the engine. I Didnt ask them to do it they just did so maybe different weight dimensions etc

I will have a trial run first me thinks! Just had coilovers arrive today so maybe when they are installed i have the alignment done i could get the wheels rebalanced then.

This happened to me when the chimps at ProTyre fitted the flat weights onto the inside of my rim. They obviously moved them as soon as I turned up complaining, but its your only real option if they do catch short of shaving the caliper.

Yeah the 288 calipers just kiss the balance weights if they are stuck to the rim on the outboard edge (speedlines). But it's mainly when new pads are used. As the pads wear, the caliper moves more inboard and therefore no longer fouls the weights.

But to be honest, when this happened to me, I just unpeeled the weights and moved them over a bit so they no longer fouled. Didn't affect the balancing at all :D

The weights have only just been put on in the past week so should be able to peel them off with little fuss, plus the pads and discs are slightly used so should get a little clearance.

If you move them as far outboard as they can go, that did the trick for me. If you move the weights inboard, that will probably mess with the balancing...

Been busy today will try and post a pic of the fit but the weights are thin type and don't catch the caliper! Sweet

Have done a test fitting with and with out pads, without the caliper sticks out and knocks the spokes of the speedlines is this an issue when the pads where down quite low?