sam2.0

Car sounds like its on 3 cylinders on start up

When I start my 2.0 16v it sounds like its only firing on 3 cylinders, after about 15 seconds it starts to sound normal again. Or if you just give it a little gas it seems to sort its self out.

I was thinking it might be injectors, but also wondering about HT leads etc.

I'm going to be doing a oil service on it in the near distant future, so will do sparks etc then. Rather not shell out £70 for HT leads if its not going to be an issue.

I had this on my 2.0 16v and it got progressively worse... it transpired that one of my leads was utterly screwed and in fact when I pulled it from the block, the end actually fell off followed by a tonne of green corrosion... I was amazed it had worked at all, at any point. New set of leads sorted it out!

But it could indeed be leaky injectors too, flooding one cylinder...

Anything ignition related. Look at the contacts on the dizzy cap first, leads, check condition of plugs as they will give you an indication of problems within the combustion chamber.

Well, the sparks seem fine, just had a fair amount of carbon on them. But, 2 of them had rust! it was above the nut, where the HT lead attaches.

Dizzy and arm were replaced only a few months ago.

The car also smokes from the exhaust while its running like this. This morning it was loads of smoke and I stalled. I then tried to start and I could hear it trying to turn over but it wouldnt start. Gave it 10 seconds and it started fine.

I had the same problem with my 1.8. Turned out to be a plug lead. It was almost impossible to find as everything sparked OK once the engine had run for a minute. I used a known good spare lead on each cylinder in turn and on the third day it started and ran fine. The lead that was duff looked fine.

£35 @ ECP. (Or £50)

Suppose I bite the bullet. I was going to change the oil soon as well, I'll do the sparks at the same time as it all.

HT leads and ignition coil replaced and its still doing it.

To begin with, it was only on start up now, I'm having it intermittently whilst driving as well.

Check the dizzy cap - you should be able to narrow down to one cylinder but either removing a lead at start-up of clipping a timing light to each

Its a new dizzy cap and rotor arm as well!

I'll give it a go. I'm just trying to see if its the same or worse by removing the leads?

Yeah - if it's a dodgy lead / plug / injector / tappet etc then removing the lead from that cylinder won't make a difference... at least that will narrow down to one of the 4.

I'd say it was injectors, the cold start injector doesn't help matters. On K/KE-jet it seems it's easy for the engine to start with too much fuel sucked into one or more of the cylinders and it takes a little while for the engine to balance out with a clean even burn on all four cylinders.

K-jet injectors can give a pretty poor spray pattern at idle when they get old and with the poor fuel atomisation on a cold and/or starting engine the result is pretty rough running for a little while, usually helped by a few gentle extra revs.

I'd say it was injectors, the cold start injector doesn't help matters. On K/KE-jet it seems it's easy for the engine to start with too much fuel sucked into one or more of the cylinders and it takes a little while for the engine to balance out with a clean even burn on all four cylinders.

K-jet injectors can give a pretty poor spray pattern at idle when they get old and with the poor fuel atomisation on a cold and/or starting engine the result is pretty rough running for a little while, usually helped by a few gentle extra revs.

I was starting to lean to injectors. What's the best cure, can I get them cleaned? Is it worth using those additives in the fuel tank (personally I don't think they're a good idea)?

I was starting to lean to injectors. What's the best cure, can I get them cleaned? Is it worth using those additives in the fuel tank (personally I don't think they're a good idea)?

Have you checked the fuel filter yet? easiest first!Unplug cold start injector to see if it helps. I wont bother cleaning the injectors,renew them as theyre precision items and wear out like everything else.cleaning them doesnt fix worn needles