Sign in to follow this  
jamest

oil change?! (i know its been discussed before!)

whats the procedure and any pointers for changing the oil, i have looked throught the search to find any advice but cant find any practical tips (not looking hard enough :oops: ) i want to change mine tmrw-

whats a sump gasket- the dealers said all i needed was a filter and the oil!

what the hell do you do with the old oil when your done?!

any other pieces of advice for a nervous first time mechanic? :cry:

help appreciated...

First off get yourself to VW and get a filter and copper sump washer. Then get one of those drain cans from Halfords and some oil and you're set. You don't need a sump gasket unless yours is leaking really badly. It's the seal between block and sump.

If the car isn't lowered, you can do the oil without jacking it up, otherwise you'll need some shallower containers.

After a decent run, undo the sump bolt (19mm) and let it all flow out.

Then you need to undo the large plastic filter housing on front of the engine. A 36mm socket or a large adjustable spanner will get that off. Unscrew it, remove the filter, mop up any spills, fit the supplied seal to the bottom of the cap threads, push the filter in so it clicks into place then screw it home.

Refill with oil after you're replaced the sump plug. Takes about 5.5 litres to fill up.

If you used a drain can, take it down to a Shell station as they usually have old oil recycling tanks and pour it in.

Should take less than hour.

K

cheers!

guess i need t get myself back down to the stealers for a copper sump washer then. he didnt mention that the b*****d :evil:

cheers and fingers crossed

james

Worth saying while we'r'e on the subject, stick to genuine VAG group filters, as they have a non-return valve which keeps some oil in the 'top' of the engine ready for the next start-up of the engine, cheaper non-VW filters tend not to have this feature.

Worth saying while we'r'e on the subject, stick to genuine VAG group filters, as they have a non-return valve which keeps some oil in the 'top' of the engine ready for the next start-up of the engine, cheaper non-VW filters tend not to have this feature.

If you do have another filter, you should start the engine and immediatly turn it off then start again.

But yes, best to stick to genuine, especially important on a G60!

when i bought a vr6 filter from the dealer i got a sump washer and filter case gasket in the box with it :shock: :shock:

i was totally dumb struck is this common practice which i strongly doubt or was it a fluke???