corrado_sunderland

England euro's.....what happened ?

Look on the bright side, you could be like me and support Scotland!!!!!

Italy were just the better team. The fact we held Italy to a draw is consolation enough for me, and it could have gone either way during penalties.

To be honest Germany would have annihilated us anyway so it's good we went out at this stage!

We were set up 4-4-2 and played for a draw, with the possibility of a break and possible goal. So Hodgson's aim was 0-0 or 1-0 if we were very very lucky.

However well we defended at the back, this meant we couldn't defend up the park where Pirlo was spraying passes left right and centre.

If we had been more attack minded, Gerrard/Parker could have taken care of Pirlo and Welbeck and Rooney up front to score, with Cole and Johnson pushing forward down the sides.

This Italy side is vulnerable when they are attacked (you will see this against the Germans). Its a shame we just didn't make a game of it. I would rather lose 4-5 in normal time than go out on penalties after such an uninspiring, unattractive performance.

I suppose that's the difference between Hodgson and Redknapp isn't it? For the next 4 years all we will be able to hope for is the 1-0 win.

As disappointing as last night was, you need to bear in mind how the team were playing under Capello and how atrocious we were in South Africa! Hodgson's not done that badly in the time he's had - at least they looked like they had some idea how to defend. Hopefully they'll learn how to attack before the next tournament!

Oh, and agree with Jim's comment; fluking a result on pens against Italy would only have left us facing a drubbing by the Germans...

Italy were just the better team. The fact we held Italy to a draw is consolation enough for me, and it could have gone either way during penalties.

To be honest Germany would have annihilated us anyway so it's good we went out at this stage!

Seconded! :-P

Italy just out played us anyway, it was lucky we made it that far.

The thing that annoyed me was the fact that we wiped the floor with them for 25 minutes and italy didnt tatically work around that we just got damn lazy, so if they played to there full potential it could have been a win for us.It was either how unfit they are that let it down or pure lack of interest,either way its insulting to england to have such little enthusiasm as other countries teams put alot more pride in it.

Plus id rather have crouch in squad than milner as hes fooking useless and crouch always plays with his heart for england, the whole bar sighed when sunderlands own henderson came on :lol:

Plus this year where was adam johnson? he wasnt even in the squad and and hes the best winger in england :/

It was a calamity in my opinion and it was theirs for the taking,if hodgson can whip these into shape we could have a good squad for next time round,i think they just dont care and take their foot off the gas

anyway heres some wonderful stats

30 Cristiano Ronaldo has had more shots in his first four games at Euro 2012 than the entire England squad (29) had at the tournament

20 Italy had more shots on target in their quarter-final match than England had in total in their four matches in Ukraine

88 England conceded more than twice as many shots to France, Sweden, Ukraine and Italy than they had against those teams

39 England had on average 39% of the possession in their four games, their lowest figure at a tournament since Euro 1980

29 Ashley Young and James Milner put in 29 crosses in the four games. Only three reached an England team-mate

300 England averaged 300 passes per match. The four semi-finalists have averaged 479

15 England completed only 15 passes in the 15 minutes of the second period of extra-time against Italy

18 England's most successful passing combination against Italy was the goalkeeper Joe Hart to the substitute striker Andy Carroll

115 Andrea Pirlo had more passes against England than England's four starting midfielders had against Italy

18 Mesut Ozil has created 18 chances in Germany's four games. Steven Gerrard, England's most prolific chance creator, has made six

102 England ran on average 102km in their four matches. Italy ran 7.5km further on average per match

86 England have had the most tackles in the tournament, with Steven Gerrard's 18 the most of any player

29 England have blocked the most shots at Euro 2012, 17 more than Italy, 19 more than Germany, 21 more than Portugal and 24 more than Spain